What's my red cauliflower?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

What's my red cauliflower?

Postby abrogard » Mon May 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Cook this and it's a white cauliflower just like any other.

So this must be some kind of red powder, pollen maybe?

But only here on the cauliflower?

DSCF3646 [640x480].jpg
abrogard
Curator

Re: What's my red cauliflower?

Postby abwal » Mon May 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Looks like you have one of the 'fancy' coloured caulies. Do an image search for coloured cauliflower.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm

I think there are about 3 fancy colours now. You see them in the shops sometimes
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Mon May 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Well maybe, I guess. But I've no recollection of planting any such. All my caulies are planted from the same packet of seed and most all are the normal white...

And is this a clincher? On cooking the red colour washes off, goes away, disappears?
abrogard
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 am

I did some googling and it seems the colour can leach out with cooking.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Tue May 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Looks like the seed company mixed up the seed, not to worry. It won't hurt you, and yes, they do lose colour when cooked. It's pretty though!

As an aside, my neighbours use pegs to fold and tie leaves over their cauli heads to keep them white. Exposure to the sun makes them go yellowish, apparently!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Well I can't be sure because I've failed to find the seed packet.

My world famous filing system has failed again.

But it's of no great importance. I just wondered about it. We've already eaten a couple of heads like that know they're alright, that's how come we know the colour washes off.

Perhaps I did have a packet of seed 'various colours' or something. What I can do is look what Bunnings are selling. I buy nearly all my seed there.

I like that idea of pegging the leaves over the heads, they do go yellow, if that'll stop it. But those of mine that have gone yellow have been premature or weather-screwed up heads anyway. Poor heads. I've got white large heads now that are fully exposed and not turning yellow. So I'm not sure. Willing to give it a go though.

They do look good, yes, I love 'em. My first thought was they have gotten the red colour somehow from my red cabbage - which has been there for decades and just isn't going anywhere, doing anything.... but it looks good, too...

I like things that look good, even if no one is eating it... like the hearty stands of kale....

:)
abrogard
Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID