Rust on plants

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Rust on plants

Postby meriash » Thu May 15, 2014 2:35 pm

I have been invaded by Rust...

I was given some Canna Lillies and they have developed quite a bit of rust, I have always pulled the leaves with it on, bagged and binned it.

Now I find the rust on my potted Daylilles which have never shown any signs of it before , but they have always been in the ground, not enough room for them here so had to pot them all.

Then I looked at my dwarf Frangipanni and there is rust on it,

the poor wheelie bin is full of bagged rust leaves LOL

Does anyone know if it is the same rust on all three, looks the same , and what to do about it, or do the plants all get bagged and binned.
meriash
Groundsperson

Re: Rust on plants

Postby midgin » Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Geez Meriash, I feel for you...I shall go and ask my best friend Google. Please don't give up hope.... :wink:
BTW... I know someone who does have a cutting of the dwarf, evergreen Frani...alive, happy (came from a lovely friend) and if it ever grows... I feel sure they would share. :wink: :wink: :wink:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby meriash » Fri May 16, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks Midgin. :lol:

I m going to give the franni and the day lillies a good dose of whatever it takes, I have heard that Triforine works so that will be a start.

The Canna's are already in the bin for the next pick up, sigh
meriash
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Sat May 17, 2014 9:48 am

Hi there stranger! :D :D

Going into the cooler months, you can do no harm whatsoever to your daylilies by very carefully cutting them back to help stem the spread. When you say rust, I'm assuming you mean complete with orange pustules on the leaves?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby meriash » Sat May 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Pam, been a while hasn't it. ? :lol: better start doing better hadn't I ?

Yes it is the little yellow / orange blobs on them, then the leaves of the day lilles , so sad after all theses years of having them rust free.

Wondering if it is the same rust on the cannas, Frannies and the day lillies...

I have been pulling the leaves off, thinking of cutting all the outside ones off and then giving the plant a darned god spray.
meriash
Groundsperson

Return to Plant & Pest ID