ID Moss/fungus-like growth in lawn area : Help PLEASE!!

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

ID Moss/fungus-like growth in lawn area : Help PLEASE!!

Postby youvee » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi All,

I am a fresh member of Garden Express Forum and hope to use & contribute constructively to this forum in the future.

For now, I need your valuable help. I am seeing recently a moss/fungus-like growth pervading a substantial part of my frontyard lawn area (which, albeit nowadays, is more of a weed area than a lawn area). I live in the South-Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Photos below. I am a reasonably keen but still a much new (and unexperienced) gardener.

Some quick questions :
- What exactly is this? Moss / Fungus / ...?
- What causes this to form / grow over such a large area? Too much or too little moisture / sunlight / surrounding vegetation / ...?
- How serious is this? I have a fully established & long LilyPily Hedge very next to it. Is this hedge under danger (although the moss does not seem to have crossed the dividing pavers onto the hedge area ... as yet at least)
- Would walking over it (in shoes while working allover in the garden) spread this to other non-affected areas?
- Most importantly, how do I get rid of this moss/fungus? Will Zero or a similar glyphosphate weedkiller work? Since I do not have much lawn anyway, I do not mind killing the moss and the surrounding weeds (while taking care that the hedge is protected) in one go, if this is a sure solution for removal of this moss.

Facing East & North, this area gets reasonable amount of sunlight (4-5 hours, I think). One point, I have seen the entire frontyard quite damp/moist nowadays over last few months, much unlike what I have seen over last 12+ years.

Please HELP!!

Regards,

Youvee
youvee
Lawn trimmer

Re: ID Moss/fungus-like growth in lawn area : Help PLEASE!!

Postby Pam » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:57 am

HI youvee. I can't help with an identification sorry. I was looking at the green areas thinking, yes, there is some moss there, but then I realised it wasn't the green bits that you're questioning. GOSH! That's just ....amazing! You say the area has been quite moist for the past few months, and THAT is the cause of it - poor drainage.

Are you aware of what is keeping it wet? If not I'd be looking for a broken water pipe or similar.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby youvee » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks a lot, Pam, for your response.

I too initially thought of a broken pipe being the cause for this moss/fungus, particularly since a water-pipe runs from the utility meter to my house through the soil in the vicinity of (but not directly beneath) this moss-like growth. Hence, I stopped all water-usage activities in my home for more than 1 hour and checked for any change in the meter reading. But, no, the meter counter did not move even a little bit during this 1+ hour. So, back to square one (which actually is a relief in one way, since locating and fixing the water pipe leak on my property would have been an expensive affair). Checked with my neighbour too and ruled out any contribution from his property.

One chance is this could be due to a leak from a pipe outside my property (e.g. from common land/property like a pipe beneath the footpath adjoining my property) .. should I call Yarra Valley Water to check for this?

Alternatively, if not a broken pipe, what else can potentially cause this issue? Is this a typical winter phenomenon (since sunlight is low)? Having said that, this is the first time I have seen this - since last 4-8 weeks - out of the 13+ years that I am living in this house. Has anybody experienced/seen a similar white moss-growth in their or anybody else's garden?

I also plan to take a clump of the soil (with this moss) to the nursery for their feedback/advice.

Apart from the moss, I am also concerned of having an extra-high dampness / moisture in this garden area for a long time. Can this lead to, say, termites which like moisture in the soil?

- Youvee
Last edited by youvee on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youvee
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I would be calling Yarra Valley Water to check especially as this has not been a problem before.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Plant & Pest ID