Help ID self-seeded berry plant

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Help ID self-seeded berry plant

Postby Doose » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:57 am

Hi I'm hoping someone might know what this plant that's popped up at the base of my Jacaranda tree in Port Kembla.
It has Deep red bracts over circular clusters of green (so far) berries.
I tied Googling it in various ways but to no avail. I assume it was seeded by a bird. I think it's quite an attractive plant but I don't want it in my garden if it's going to cause problems or grow huge, but otherwise I'd consider transplanting it.
Is it a weed? How big will it grow & should I get rid of it? I've supplied top, side & underneath view photos.
under.jpg
underneath
under.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
top.jpg
from top
top.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
side.jpg
side
side.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Doose
Apprentice

Re: Help ID self-seeded berry plant

Postby Pam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:06 am

It looks like a very happy Ochna - considered a noxious weed in all states of Australia, and declared in some places, ie their control is mandated in those places.

It's a pain to get rid of. As you can see it self seeds very freely, and even small seedlings are very difficult to remove .... it's like trying to pull wire, and their taproots are very long.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Cut the stem leaving about 10cm and paint with zero. You have to do this quickly before the stem seals.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Doose » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks Pam and Tam
I'll be taking your advice & getting rid of it as soon as I can. It looks like there's no getting rid of it once It's established.
Shame though... It is kinda pretty.
Doose
Apprentice

Return to Plant & Pest ID