Staghorn shedding.

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Staghorn shedding.

Postby MontoMum » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi.

I have a Staghorn it's over 12 years old and has in the past few months shed a very large basal frond. It is now growing a new one, but only on one side (there are usually two, one on each side). The side where the basal frond fell from looks dried and "sick". I really don't want to lose this because it was my mums and I'd really like to keep it alive in memory of her.

Any suggestions as to how I can nurture this baby back to health. As it was dry weather, I was watering it often during the months prior to the frond falling off and feeding it banana skins (which may have contributed to the problem). It is attached to an Illawarra Plum (AKA Plum Pine, Brown Pine) which drops leaves and flowers and fruit all year. The area inside the basal fronds is chock a block full of mulch etc. Should I clean it out to get some air in? I live in a sub-tropical area (2.5 hrs west of Bundaberg). We're sort of between the zones.

Help please.
MontoMum
Lawn trimmer

Re: Staghorn shedding.

Postby abwal » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Have you tried soluble fertilizer ( seaweed) on a monthly basis?

Some general information: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1397347.htm
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby MontoMum » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 am

Hi Abwal.

Thanks for your reply. I was more concerned that it was over fertilized as it is full of leaf litter from the tree it's hanging on.

However, it's just occurred to me that the tree is a type of pine, so maybe the leaf litter is too acidic. Hmmm. Food for thought.

I'll head out and give it a half strength dose of soluble fertiliser as the website you directed me to recommended.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers.
MontoMum
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:24 pm

in the past few months shed a very large basal frond.
Your Staghorn is probably shedding an old seed basal frond. Is it brown under the frond?
They shed these and grow new ones.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Plant & Pest ID