ID fern-like runner, Perth WA

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Sam, Bulbinella

ID fern-like runner, Perth WA

Postby EnSlavingBlair » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello,

My lawn is basically sand currently with a few patches of turf that I'm attempting to grow into a lawn, but I've noticed some kind of runner popping up near the fence. There was just one or two a couple of weeks ago, now there seems to be a whole stack of them. I don't mind the way they look, but I'm not keen on how quickly they could overtake the "lawn". Anyone know what they are? Or a good way to keep them just growing in one spot? They look better than the fence..

The plant is currently about 20cm high, and is growing in semi-shade, with full sun during the middle of the day. I'm watering the "lawn" twice a week on our watering days, either in the morning or the evening, for 15mins, using that blue sprinkler-hose with holes in it that's visible in the pic. It's been quite warm here in Perth for the last month (since we moved in), temps up around 30-35 on average, with basically no rain.

It might not be a runner, but that's my best guess.

Cheers,
Teresa
Attachments
IMG_20170128_095658449_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170128_094854726_HDR.jpg
EnSlavingBlair
Apprentice

Re: ID fern-like runner, Perth WA

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:11 am

Yes, they are runners, and it would have been chopped back before you came. By the looks of it it was well established.

It's asparagus fern AKA Asparagus plumosus . It's a declared weed in some states, so it would be wise to check its weed status in yours if you choose to let it grow.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Plant & Pest ID