Jacaranda Pruning

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Jacaranda Pruning

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi,
I have 2 very large jacaranda trees in my garden which have unfortunately been pruned back quite severely some years ago. The trees now have mature vertical shoots and the natural shape of the tree has been lost. They need pruning back again as branches have grown right over the house and I believe this is the right time of year to do this. My question is....how should I prune these vertical shoots?? Is there any way that pruning can help get the trees back to their natural shape? What length of vertical shoot should be left intact? The trees are huge so will be getting someone in to do this for me....just wondering what instructions to give them.
Thanks in advance for any advice!! :)
Madison
Apprentice

Re: Jacaranda Pruning

Postby Systema_Naturae » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Pruning jacarandas is generally not advisable because, as you well know, it ruins their form. Those vertical shoots have a mind of their own and are bugger to shape.

The only suggestion I have, and it seems like a drastic one, is to cut the tree back to one single vertical growth. I'd also remove any new vertical shoots it attempts to put out (and it will put out many) for the ensuing couple of years, but let the main leader grow unhindered.

Essentially you want to reset the tree as close as possible to growing from scratch - without killing it. Prune to a single leader and you might get results.

A lot of arborists will tell you that once you prune a jacaranda it is ruined. I tend to agree:

http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial- ... 132635.htm
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Postby Keo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Pruning trees properly can be a bit of an art. If your getting someone in to do it then just make sure you get someone qualified and professional, then you don't need to worry. Sorry I know that's not what you were after but it's the best advice in my opinion. Oh and no they will never go back to their natural shape they are ruined. You can make them quite reasonable with a good prune though.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks so much for the replies....helpful and much appreciated!!
Madison
Apprentice

Emergency Tree cut Down

Postby Elizabeeth » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Trees and shrubs have invariably been remarkable for individuals, they will suggest several things along with not too long ago signify the adjustments many of us have a for our own planet. Some sort of Shrub typically signify intelligence, expect, spiritualism, but within the twenty-first Centuries, they will have grown to be symbolic to be able to environmentally friendly devastation that individuals are generally confronting today.

Emergency Tree cut Down

If you need more information about Emergency Tree cut Down,Tree Trimming,Tree Pruning and more click here:
http://www.findlocaltreeservice.com/blog/
Elizabeeth
Apprentice

Return to Trees & Shrubs