Trimming a Tabebuia tree?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Trimming a Tabebuia tree?

Postby Comets_Mum » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi, We have several Tabebuia trees on our property, which we bought last year. The pink flowering ones are of a reasonable shape, but the white one has mainly bare branches at the top and is leafy from about a third of a way down beneath these bare branches. It hasn't lost its leaves like the pink ones and has had only a few white flowers on it. It has been like this since we moved here. Should we prune it at all, or does that cause it to become misshapen? We live in Townsville. Thanks for any advice.
Comets_Mum
Cultivator

Re: Trimming a Tabebuia tree?

Postby enrico » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi Comets-mum, why not google tabetuia and type in fact sheet, it just may come up with something :roll:
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Can you see if the bare branches are actually dead? Scrap a bit of bark off and see if it's still green underneigth.

Unless they're dead, I'd be inclined to wait.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 am

When I had a pink one I pruned fairly heavily with no ill effect whatsoever. I'm assuming you're wanting to cut back the bare branches to where there are leaves? Go ahead, you will do it no harm.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:22 pm

There are a few different species of tabebuia. I think you would need information specific to your trees. I would guess that most of them would stand pruning, but check first.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Comets_Mum » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll get the ladder and test if the branches are dead or not. I'll probably trim the dead bits (after we get some rain) and hopefully the tree will pick up then with the addition of some fertilizer.
Comets_Mum
Cultivator

Postby Comets_Mum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm pleased to report that our Tabebuia tree now has greenery right up to the top, so there has been no need to prune it. I really didn't want to spoil its symetrical shape. Several weeks ago we checked some of the highest branches to see if they were still green underneath, and they were, so we have waited for rain.

After our recent rain, all of the trees are now covered with new leaves. Thanks for everyone's input.
Comets_Mum
Cultivator

Postby abwal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Well done. Patience is often rewarded in the garden - but very difficult to have at times. :)
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Franklin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:11 pm

Tabebuia impetiginosa is one of the most spectacular blooming trees in the world. The tree will loose its leaves during the winter and right after will burst with flowers (mature trees). The care is easy. A little dryer during the winter and a little moist during the rest of the year.

Return to Trees & Shrubs