magnolia questions

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

magnolia questions

Postby greywater1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:38 pm

I have an area about 4 x 4m that I want to plant a small tree. Do magnolias cope with exposed full sun and occasional hot wind ? I am still tossing up between deciduous or the evergreen ones. I am somewhat interested in 'Little Gem' but not sure if it is too small for the area. Are they relatively fast growing trees ? ( because I can't afford a big one to start off with ! ) Do they need much water ? At the moment it is a toss up between magnolia, crepe myrtle or ornamental pear.
The heat is on !
greywater1
Groundsperson

Re: magnolia questions

Postby Luzy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi greywater,

Our magnolia faces west, so cops full noon-onwards sun in summer and a fair bit of whatever winds are around. But it is a large, established tree - as such, it doesn't get any supplementary water. Any young tree could do with some babying as it's growing and establishing.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby daffy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Little Gem is the dwarf form of grandiflora which is a BIG tree.

Any of the X soulangianas are pretty, although I think the crepe myrtles would be tougher in a windy situation.
Never believe anyone who says your proposed garden is too big!!!

Remember, treat others how you would like to be treated.
daffy
Gardening Sage

Postby abwal » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

Your climate will need to be taken into account. If you enter your area into your profile you will enable members to give you more accurate advice.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Prunus mume (Japanese apricot) are a good small tree; Pretty, fragrant, fast growing and tough. They can be quite happily pruned to a small area.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs