Plum Trees in Wine Barrels

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Plum Trees in Wine Barrels

Postby Pluggah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:13 pm

We have a satsuma plum and a Narrembeen plum in separate barrel's, growing well. Have been in the barrel for about 3 months. We would like to know whether we should prun the main stem so they branch out and become bushy or not. Any other hints would be appreciated. They are both about a metre and a half tall. Thanks 8) [img][/img]
Pluggah
Lawn trimmer

Re: Plum Trees in Wine Barrels

Postby The Estate » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:08 pm

NO pic ?? if you want them to stay short I would, are they minature trees or grow to a full size ??
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Pluggah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks for that, the plum trees are normal sized trees. So the prune would be say about half way up or just above any branches, how does that sound.
Pluggah
Lawn trimmer

Postby The Estate » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:59 pm

I would just take the fist foot out at this stage as it is young, you can prune to shape each year after fruiting when dormant in winter :D (Y) (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Pluggah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Feel more at ease now[img][/img]
Pluggah
Lawn trimmer

Postby karyn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Prune them young and you'll be right. I moved onto a block with quite old plum trees and pruned them with a chainsaw. Took ages, no plums for a year, but I reckon I'll have a glut this year again. I left 15 trees, chopped the rest down. What a pity they weren't apricots on the block...or nectarines...You can be mean and brutal to your satsuma, they're tough as old boots. If you google "pruning fruit trees", you'll find heaps of info on shapes and styles. The most common are probably the vase type and the leader type. Plums do well in the vase shape, as the sun and air can get in and circulate.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pluggah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks, it's a great help.
Pluggah
Lawn trimmer

Return to Trees & Shrubs