Jacaranda...I think?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Jacaranda...I think?

Postby Stormgirl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi all

I've just been to Bunnings and picked up what I think was a jacaranda tree for a bargain $13. (no labels, no barcode..)

Now it's home and the leaves have somehow all closed up (if you can imagine that)

I remember many years ago I encountered a tree that had similar leaves that closed up on themselves if you touched them. Does anyone know of a tree like this?? And what would it be called? Could it be mistaken for a jacaranda? Am I making any sense at all? :lol:

I'm just looking for some names of trees that are similar to jacarandas so I can start Googling. Ta. :)
Stormgirl
Curator

Re: Jacaranda...I think?

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Poinciana, Tipuana, Shizalobium parahybum, Peltophorum pterecarpum.

That's all I can think of ATM.

It's probably closed it's leaves due to heat/dry.

The ones that close their leaves are a Mimosa of some kind and I'd be amazed if one was for sale.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:44 pm

My persiimmon closes its leaves when it gets dry or is hot out, sort of rolls them up.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby MacMaples » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:04 pm

My Silk Tree, Albizia julibrissin, closes its leaves at night. I believe it is called a mimosa in the US. It gets silky little pink flowers in summer but not until it's a few years old.

MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby Stormgirl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:27 pm

hey thanks everyone!

I've noticed what looks like flower buds hiding up the top of the tree, I'll give it a few weeks and then I'll be able to tell, I suppose. But it MIGHT be a poinciana...I'll let you know when I've worked out what it is. :D
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby Stormgirl » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 pm

I think it's a silk tree after all!! :o (when I googled the flower buds looked like the buds on my tree)

Well, there ya go. Well, I'm still not quite sure...i'll see when the flower buds open. :D
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby Tropicgardener » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I doubt that it would be a Poinciana as they usually take a number of years in the ground before they flower and I have never seen one flower in a pot. It is hard to say for sure without a flower but it could possibly be a Calliandra (Pom Pom bush). These will flower in pots from a very young age.

As mentioned earlier the leaves that close up when touched belong to plants of the genus Mimosa which are horrible weeds in many parts of Queensland. I remember as a child that they used to be advertised for sale on the rear of comic books!
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby Stormgirl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Well, it's definitely a silk tree! Opened its first flower today!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help. :D
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby TJS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:34 pm

Yep, sounds like you have worked it out,

Silk trees will close there leaves up every night (and when stressed). It will also lose most of its leaves in winter (especially if you are in a cold/windy climate).

They do however have GREAT flowers and are quite a hardy tree. For $13 bucks, your SMILING..... :D
What you do, you do yourself.
TJS
Pruner

Return to Trees & Shrubs