How to use cow manure, blood and bone

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

How to use cow manure, blood and bone

Postby blitz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi all,

I am going to plant Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' along my backyard. I have ordered 1.5 m3 premium garden mix from gardens' are us. Does anyone know how much cow manure, blood and bone that I need to buy? and is there anything else that I need to buy as well?

In addition, how do I use the manure? mix with the soil or put on top of the soil?

By the way, I will add the soil on top of existing soil which underneath it is clay. I have bought gypsum + 2 bag of river sand to break down the clay.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Regards,
Tony
blitz
Propagator

Re: How to use cow manure, blood and bone

Postby greg.l » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 am

You don't say what is in the mix you are buying but they are often on the sandy side. A little of your native clay soil mixed through would probably be beneficial. Don't dig the soil when it is too wet, let it dry out until the clods break up easily.
Rates of blood and bone depends on the nitrogen concentration. if it is 3% you could use 100 grams per square metre, ie a kilo would cover a 3x3 area. It also depends on the fertility of the soil. You can add as much cow manure as you like, more is better if it is well rotted.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby blitz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:03 pm

Hi Greg,
Thank you for your advise.
Unfortunately I didn't ask the staffs there. But the one for sure it doesn't contain compost organic.
Do I mix the blood and bone together or sprinkle on top of the soil?
How to tell if the cow manure is rotted? By the way, I bought it from Bunning in 25lt pack, can I make assumption that it is rotted? Same question with the above, what should I do with the cow manure? Mix with the soil or sprinkle on top of the soil?
blitz
Propagator

Postby greg.l » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:33 am

The blood and bone should be mixed through, the manure can be either, perhaps mix some through and use some on the surface as mulch. Manure in a bag should be well rotted. you can tell by the smell and appearance - smells like compost when rotted. After planting be sure to feed at least annually, the same amount of blood and bone, and regular mulching keeps trees happy. In the first year or two try not to let it dry out, until well established. If you are planting a row, one of those brown dripper lines (with suitable filter) would give them a good headstart.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby blitz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:05 pm

Okay, I will mixed through the blood and bone and some manure. and some of the manure for the mulch.
Yes, it looks like compost.
Yes, I will plant them in a row. By the way, what is brown dripper lines? is it like an irrigation pipe? can I buy them from bunnings? Does Sydney water approve it?
Another question I would like to ask you, do I need to use Shredded wood as a mulch as well?

Thanks again for your guidance.
blitz
Propagator

Postby greg.l » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Brown is just the colour of the dripper lines, they should sell them at bunnings. You can connect them to a hose if you buy the right attachments, also buy a plug for the open end and a filter to stop the drip holes clogging. They are the latest thing in water saving. They don't waste water and take about 3 hours to water fully. There of lots of mulch products available, the most important thing is to keep the ground covered to protect the soil.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby blitz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks Greg. I will give a visit to bunning this weekend to buy this dripper and the mulch. By the way, do I put the dripper lines under the mulch or inside the soil?
blitz
Propagator

Return to Trees & Shrubs