Where can i get a radiata pine tree in WA?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Where can i get a radiata pine tree in WA?

Postby johanna » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can get Pinus radiata in WA? We have a lot of commercial plantations here, but I don't know where a member of the public could actually buy one?

Thanks heaps anyone with info.
johanna
Apprentice

Re: Where can i get a radiata pine tree in WA?

Postby Bulbinella » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi johanna and welcome to the Forum.
As to your enquiry, I'm sorry but I have no idea, have you asked at any retail nurseries?
they may not stock them, but they may be able to get one/some in for you, if you have no luck, you might have to consider mail order, I'm sure if you do a search, you will locate a nursery that stocks them and also sends through the mail.
(I've searched GE's online site and could'nt find any reference to Radiata's and to be honest I'm not sure if they sell them ... I don't recall seeing any in their catalogues, but then again I've never been on the look- out for this tree)
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Re: Where can i get a radiata pine tree in WA?

Postby taffyman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi Johanna, have you tried approaching the commercial growers and asking them? I guess it would depend on how many you are looking for, but perhaps if it's only one or two they may be happy to let you have them. Failing that, how about asking them if you could collect a few pine cones at the appropriate time (they could tell you that) and grow your own from the seeds?
Radiata pine is also known as Monterey pine or New Zealand pine (in NZ - of course :shock: ).
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Return to Trees & Shrubs