Help identifying a privacy semi-formal hedge in mostly shade

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Help identifying a privacy semi-formal hedge in mostly shade

Postby Garden Addict » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

OK - I'm new to this forum and to gardening. I just typed out one of these posts and ... whammo - it disappeared, hoping to have more luck with the low tech stuff in the garden. :shock: Anyway, loving gardening and I think I may have found my calling in life... =p~

Righto, so here I am on a Saturday night, kids asleep, husband at work Xmas party, searching for hedges on the internet and happy! :P - I'm having trouble identifying a suitable hedge for our front garden and my search led me here. It'll hide a paling fence, provide a fence like barrier from the street and also be used to hide the car when parked in front of our house.

Situation is this...frost free Sydney, large gum tree in middle of planting row, some of the hedge will receive afternoon sun, the rest will be in the shade of the gum and grand old Jacaranda for most of the day (maybe 2 hours of afternoon sun). I don't really care if there's a flower or not, but if there is one I'd like it to be white and fleshy rather than a spray or fluffy flower (I get a little hayfever). Currently growing well here are the Clivias. I don't want a hedge with red new growth.

And one last thing - not Murraya...I'm bored to tears of it. Anyone had any luck with Escallonia Iveyi in the shade? Or Myrtus Luma?

Looking forward to hearing from you and knowing there are others out there...just like me!

Cheers
Garden Addict
Garden Addict
Lawn trimmer

Re: Help identifying a privacy semi-formal hedge in mostly shade

Postby bubba louie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Garden Addict.

Sounds like a tough spot. Gums have a bit of a reputation for being hard to garden under.

Someone will probably shoot me down in flames but all I can think of, that grows in sun and shade is a Camellia sasanqua. Jaboticaba makes a nice fruiting hedge but I'm not sure about your conditions.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:06 am

I grow both the escallonia and the luma. They are both good plants but the escallonia is a bit faster while the luma gets nice berries. Another possibility might be viburnum tinus which is very tough and makes a good hedge, or for something different winter honeysuckle, lonicera fragrantissima if you can get it. It has good fragrance in winter and grows very fast in sydney. I would avoid things like camellia, rhodos etc which, while beautiful, will struggle under a gum tree.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Phil Hansen » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 am

Also consider Choisya ternata, should be able to handle growing under gum tree in shade, particularly with the summer rain you get up there, nice white, scented flowers.
Phil
PHIL HANSEN

Dyslexics are teople poo
Phil Hansen
Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm

A native plant you might like to consider, if you're able to supplement the natural rainfall, is Eleocarpus reticulatus. The pink-flowering variety 'Prima Donna' is absolutely stunning, but may not do as well for you as the white one.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Trees & Shrubs