Manchurian Pear - Help!

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Manchurian Pear - Help!

Postby rebecca6k6 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi all,
Im a newbie so hoping I am getting this in the right area.

I have just recently bought and planted two manchurian pear trees in my back yard. They are of decent height and when I bought them they were a lovely dark green colour. However in just 2 weeks they seem to be turning yellow and some of the leaves are either falling of or curled into itself. They do get some wind, but not a lot and I have been watering them everyday.

I have attached 2 pictures to explain more what I mean

What can I do to save these trees, I really dont want them to die on me!

DSC06324.JPG

DSC06326.JPG

Rebecca
rebecca6k6
Lawn trimmer

Re: Manchurian Pear - Help!

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm wondering if you are over watering them. Are you checking the soil to see if it needs the water first? If the soil is still moist then adding more water risks drowning the roots. The way those leaves look with the ends going dead suggests that to me. It is best to give them a deep watering and then letting the soil dry out a bit before watering again. Roots need air as well as water.

To help with the diagnosis though it would help if you let us know whereabouts you live for climate conditions, and what you did to prepare the site for planting your trees, did you add fertilisers or other additives. Also what type of soil do you have, sandy or clay or something in between.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby rebecca6k6 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:28 pm

I was actually thinking that, I might be overwatering....

I live in Perth in the eastern suburbs so it does get quite warmish, the soil is quite a black sandy soil and everything else I put in seems to grow crazy. We are about 4 mts from the water table as well.

When we planted, we had some soil conditioner a small scoop of tree food and and pinch of water crystals.

We also did have quite a warm day about 3 days ago and this is when I started to notice the leaves.

I have also today sprayed my garden with charlie carp and the trees got a bit of a water, but not too much just the leaves.
rebecca6k6
Lawn trimmer

Postby greg.l » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm

If those pictures are the extent of the problem it isn't too much to worry about. Probably you only need to water every 3 or 4 days. Manchurian pears are pretty tough trees and can stand drought as well as bad drainage, once established. They are unlikely to die from overwatering but would appreciate a bit of a feed.
FYI manchurian pear is a naming mistake, they are actually Pyrus calleryana, but everyone still calls them Manchurian pear.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby greg.l » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:17 am

I was just reading up on Pyrus calleryana and I find it is susceptible to lime induced chlorosis (yellowing of leaves).
You should check the pH of your soil and if it is much above 7 try to bring it down.(acidify). I have never had this problem so you might need other advice how to do this.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby littlegarden » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:48 am

I'll add my 2 cents that it is better for your trees to water deeply once or twice a week, rather than a light water every day. Light water encourages them to grow roots near the surface of the soil where they can dry out. Deep watering encourages deep roots, which means in the long-term they'll be more drought-tolerant.
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby rebecca6k6 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:44 am

I have some other ornamental pears and plums planted in my garden and they seem to do very well...

Im thinking the trees may be in a little bit of shock? I only planted them about 2 weeks ago and they were driven home on the back of a trailer.

I fed them some charlie carp and will hold off watering them for a few days, hopefully this might work!
rebecca6k6
Lawn trimmer

Postby charlie_bruno » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 pm

Some stressguard or seasol might help with the shock.
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Postby golsky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 pm

I think I might have the same problem with one of mine out the front, I live in Adelaide, it has been very hot for a few days over the last week or so, the leaves are curling up and going crunchy and look stained.....

I have given them alot of water down a piece of ag-pipe but maybe too much :? I might leave it till Sunday and see if it improves.
golsky
Weeder

Postby golsky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Pic of mine taken tonight......
Attachments
edit.jpg
manchurian pear tree
golsky
Weeder

Return to Trees & Shrubs