Another Manchurian Pear problem...

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Another Manchurian Pear problem...

Postby kermac » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 pm

...from another newbie.

We have a big tub outside the front door with what my wife says is a Manchurian Pear. It does however look somewhat different to the photos posted by the other member recently. It stands about 1 metre above the soil and is well-established. It was repotted about a year ago in a nice big pot so the roots have plenty of room to grow and the soil is rich and in good condition. We live in the tablelands about an hour out of Canberra meaning cold winters and hot, dry summers (although this year has been both cooler and wetter than we have been used to!)

The tree is kept in a fully shaded position under the roofline.

It received little enough attention apart from the occasional watering through the winter and spring and seemed to be thriving. A couple of weeks ago I noticed it was starting to look stressed, with the tips of some of the leaves turning brown. I checked that the soil was not damp and gave it a big big bucketful of water. Three or four days later it was worse, so after checking the soil (it was still very slightly damp from the previous watering), I gave it another drink.

Now it appears to be dying. Most of the leaves have brown tips at the very least, while many have turned completely brown and are clearly dead. The soil still has a little moisture so I have not watered it again for fear of over-watering.

Can anyone help?
kermac
Apprentice

Re: Another Manchurian Pear problem...

Postby greg.l » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Perhaps repotting would be the way to go. If you can tip the tree out of its tub, remove most of its potting mix with a hose, then trim the roots and repot in a good quality potting mix with some osmocote or similar mixed in. Doing this will also show you if there are any disease problems in the roots - when you trim it you will see if the roots are alive or dead, cut back until you get to good healthy roots. Maybe trim the canopy as well. Pear trees have good strong roots but any tree can get root disease, or possibly collar rot.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs