Just making sure i got this right....

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Just making sure i got this right....

Postby LiL'Muggos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:47 am

I have Poinciana, leopard and Cassia tree pods. To grow trees out of these i just plant them.... is that all?? can i plant them in seed raising mix in seed pots then when they are big enough plant them in the ground? Or are they better off straight in the ground, i will have to protect them somehow from the dogs, rabbits and kangaroos... Am i ment to poor hot water over them... read that somewhere. Also do i seaweed them when they are growen a bit.
Thanks
lil mug
LiL'Muggos
Propagator

Re: Just making sure i got this right....

Postby karyn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 pm

If the seeds have a really hard case, boil some water, let it cool for a few minutes and soak the seeds for 12 - 24 hours. Or you can rub them between 2 bits of sandpaper. Don't do both though! I would plant them in small pots or tubes, put 3 or 4 in each. Cover with soil no deeper than the thickness of the seed itself, and water them carefully (don't dislodge the soil with the water - a fine light spray is best) twice a day. Have them in the shade til they germinate, then once they have 4 leaves, move them into the sun. Don't ever let the roots dry out in small pots, they will die. Once they are a few cms high, thin out to the best 2 in each pot, then later on thin out to the strongest. This is very general advice, and someone here may know what to do specifically for these particular plants. I raise my Trees for Life seeds under 50% shadecloth, then full sun to harden them off. You won't need any extra fertiliser if you use a good potting mix. I stand mine on a table and the table legs are in water, to stop ants. If the seeds are tiny, just sprinkle them onto the soil in the pot and sprinkle fine soil over them (not potting mix with big bark chunks in it). Keep them weed free, and the more sun, the better they will be!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Just making sure i got this right....

Postby LiL'Muggos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks karyn, thats exactly what i wanted to know!!
They are all quiet big seeds too.
Im going to plant then tomorrow now!! yay im ecxited!! Cant wait til 15 years or so down the track looking at a big beautifull tree that i raised from just a little seed!
LiL'Muggos
Propagator

Return to Trees & Shrubs