what is the closest distance????

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

what is the closest distance????

Postby liam81 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:29 am

What is the closest distance you can plant a peppercorn tree from your house without causing problems. Are their root systems invasive?
liam81
Pruner

Re: what is the closest distance????

Postby greg.l » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:31 pm

My father has a pepper tree about 30m from his house, which doesn't cause any problems. I was digging a ditch near a young pepper tree recently- about three metres, there didn't seem to be many roots so i don't think they are too bad. 20m from a house would probably be safe (no guarantees).
I presume you are talking about schinus pepper trees. They are becoming quite a pest in the riverina and out west.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Tropicgardener » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 pm

I used to have a large one in my Bundaberg garden that was approx 20 metres from the house, it was getting very large so I decided to get it removed. The root system although extensive didn't cause any problems to nearby plumbing, concrete paths or brick walls but I couldn't guarantee that this would always be the case.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby Honeyeaterg » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:56 pm

my advice would be dont plant it at all. mine were so weedy we removed them but the roots didnt cause any problems that I remember.
Honeyeaterg
Gardener

Postby Tini » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:27 pm

My mum has one planted in the nature strip, it would be about 5-6 metres from the house. It is about 25-30 years old and had had the top cut off every couple of years as it is under power lines (not sure why they don't take the whole thing out). It roots have disturbed the footpath a little but have not yet been a problem to the house. The house is on strip footings and the soil is pretty average. You may get a different results depending on where you are and what your situation is. I was once told the best way to figure out how close to plant a tree is to multipy the height the tree will eventually reach and times it by 1.5. That way if the tree ever falls down it won't land on your head.
Tini
Curator

Postby ElmiraStore » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:25 am

schinus pepper would require 10-15m atleast in my opinion. As rightly said, 20m would be safe. I have one at around 17m from my house. It has never caused any problem.
ElmiraStore
Weeder

Return to Trees & Shrubs