Cypress trees, dying on bottom - should i prune??

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Cypress trees, dying on bottom - should i prune??

Postby meegymoo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi, i have a row of cypress trees which have been let grow to approx 35feet tall, they are starting to die on the lower half and i am wanting to prune the tops off - would this damage the tree even more by sending it into shoxk or would i t actually help the tree with water distribution and growth?
meegymoo
Apprentice

Re: Cypress trees, dying on bottom - should i prune??

Postby Phil Hansen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 am

Meegymoo,
How old are the trees? Where do you live? Have you had stock underneath them? Quite difficult to answer your problem without such info. Generally you ought not cut the tops out, particularly when they are already showing signs of stress. Better to try and address the root cause first. They maybe heat stressed, dry, diseased....anything. Cany you submit a photo? and perhaps some info on wher you are etc. I'm sure some of the wise folks on this forum will help.
Phil (Y)
PHIL HANSEN

Dyslexics are teople poo
Phil Hansen
Curator

Return to Trees & Shrubs