Leaves going brown

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Leaves going brown

Postby deadlevel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 am

Hello fellow gardeners,

I have two sick looking plants, both decidious, that grow well in the spring and set healthy new growth, but within a month or two are troubled by browning of the leaves. The plants are well watered and fertilised. The plants, an ornamental Pistachio and an Acer Rubrum (October Glory) are not doing well never the less. The soil pH tends to alkaline for the Pistachio and acidic for the Acer. The attached links will give you some idea of the problem.

I live on the Southern Downs in Queensland

I'm hoping someone out there has an idea just what is troubling these plants.

Thank you. RodG

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg474/RetroRod/AcerRurum_OctoberGlory.jpg
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg474/RetroRod/AcerRubrum-OctoberGlory.jpg
http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg474/RetroRod/OrnamentalPistachio.jpg
deadlevel
Pruner

Re: Leaves going brown

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi Rod. How has your rain been? Your Maple is displaying leaf scorch, which may be a reaction to extended drought, or alternately, it may be fungal.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby littlegarden » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:04 pm

What's your soil texture like? Over-watering can have very similar symptoms to under-watering. If your soil is heavy clay, the water you give them may be sitting at the roots and leaving them soggy.

If it is water-logging, the only solution is to carefully dig them up, then raise the level of the bed into a low mound and plant them higher up with free-draining soil. Digging a bigger hole most likely won't help, it'll just make a bigger "bucket" in the clay that will still fill up with water.
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby deadlevel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the interest. The soil is sandy loam, impoved with cow manure and compost. There is clay about 300mm down, but the soil appears to be well drained on top. I have to say these plants have been a puzzle to me. They look so good in spring, and then degenerate to the unsightly things you have seen. Thanks again. RodG
deadlevel
Pruner

Postby Tini » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:17 pm

I have the same problems with my liquidambers, mine are out in the open, planted in clay and cop a lot of wind (and don't get nearly enough water). Yours look quite sheltered.
Can you define well watered? A bucket of water once a week is more beneficial than a sprinkle every day.
Tini
Curator

Postby deadlevel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:32 pm

By well watered I mean that when it is dry, I'd soak the tree with 50/60 litres of water every 10 days. I have other trees around the yard, including liquid amber, that are treated more or less the same, that are not troubled in this way.

I'll wait and see, but shall take the biblical position of taking the axe to the root if this tree does not soon produce some better results soon.

Thanks for the responses. RodG
deadlevel
Pruner

Postby Deciduous_Blaze » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:01 pm

looks like a bit of windburn to me.
Alot of my trees have suffered this lately.
'Great oaks from little acorns grow'
Deciduous_Blaze
Curator

Return to Trees & Shrubs