evergreen frangipani

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

evergreen frangipani

Postby neil » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi - My evergreen frangipani (1.5m high) has had flowers on it but no leaves all summer. Very close by I have three cuttings from it growing perfectly with healthy green leaves. I had put stones around the base & I noticed it looked "burned" or strangled at the base. Is this caused by the stones getting hot during the day. The stones didn't seem to harm any other trees.
Chrs Neil
neil
Apprentice

Re: evergreen frangipani

Postby abwal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I certainly would not have the stones touching the trunk, but if they are a little away from it, they should not be a problem. The shiny leafed form is often called an evergreen, but, in fact, is not in many areas. Our tree loses most of its leaves in the cooler weather. If your tree is getting too much shade it could be the problem.
Last edited by abwal on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: evergreen frangipani

Postby Tropicgardener » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 am

Abwal, the shiny leaved form (Plumeria obtusa) is in fact evergreen but as you said it can loose it's leaves in cooler weather but I found with mine in Bundy as long as I kept the rust at bay they would retain their leaves year round. Out here we don't get any rust at all and the evergreens look beautiful all year round.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Return to Trees & Shrubs