Camellia disbudding

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Camellia disbudding

Postby macca49 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 am

I have a newly planted sasanqua camellia hedge, and i read somewhere that is a good idea to remove most of the flower buds the first couple of years. This is to promote more vegetative growth and get you a hedge a bit quicker.
The problem i have is i can't find any info on how to distinguish the flower buds from the leaf buds in the early stages, as i don't want to be ripping out leaf buds by mistake? thanks
macca49
Weeder

Re: Camellia disbudding

Postby Mister Wisteria » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Welcome to the Forum, for what's it worth I wouldn't be ripping anything off. Maybe tidy them up after flowering to keep a nice shape. :D
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi Macca, the easiest thing to do would be to just leave them unti they are big enough to tell the difference. Over time you will learn to recognise the difference from earlier on.

If your plant is only producing a few flowers though, there's no need to remove them. It's only if they were producing a bumper crop that they would affect the plant's growth to any degree.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby macca49 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks guys - you've probably saved me a lot of work. I guess like a lot of things it could be a bit of 'trial and error'.
macca49
Weeder

Return to Trees & Shrubs