Suddeny leaf drop newly planted trees.

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Suddeny leaf drop newly planted trees.

Postby poppyringo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Please help, i just panted (last night) 5 waterhousia sweepers in 45L bags into my garden. Followed instructions - hole twice the width, good quality potting mix then the good garden soil Sitting just above ground level so shouldn't be bogged. The leaves have fallen since planting (only 24hrs). I watered the holes they went into, about 1/3 full then place them in, filled with good quality mix then watered at the end - how long should i have watered for? 3 of the 5 trees are having bad leaf drop today. The leaves on these trees are dryer than they were before planting and curling more so i suspect it is lack of water but could it be too much water? Are they just in shock? Will they come good? I am not sure what to do.I've watered again tonight and put the very gentle hose into the soil deep to penetrate. Should i provide more water? They are in a sunny spot. I've not added fertiliser. I am not sure what i've done wrong - please help.
poppyringo
Propagator

Re: Suddeny leaf drop newly planted trees.

Postby poppyringo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Have looked at them all again - in the dark - and the upper most leaves at top of plant and the outermost (young at tips of branches) are most severely affected. They do appear curled and dehydrated. I am guessing not enough water... leaves closer to trunk saved first?
poppyringo
Propagator

Postby The Estate » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:50 pm

If they are looking that sick I would say not enough watering in after the initial planting, You may wish to give them a watering with half deleted seasol (Y) , also over watering is not good :roll:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby poppyringo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks The Estate. I have given them a fairly decent water tonight - and quite a soaking with a weeping hose hopefully will last through tomorrow. I've not put any sort of mulch over the top for fear of not being able to see the wetness of the soil below initially. They weren't dry prior to planting but perhaps i didn't water the hole enough. Do you think they can be saved? I did seem to think a couple of hours after watering tonight some of the leaves seemed to straighten out. I am fairly shocked that they could be this - shocked/dehydrated in just 24hrs. Maybe i underestimate the amount of water required for a tree that size (1.6 - 1.8m). I had avoided seasol or any fertilised due tot he instructions of the nursery but i'll call them and see what they say.
poppyringo
Propagator

Postby brebirodan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:12 pm

I agree but I don't. They may need some extra water, but I have a feeling they're finding it tough to aclimatise to the sunny spot you've put them in. Where were they went you bought them? In full sun outdoors, or inside? Or perhaps in an outside nursery with semi-shade clothed areas above?

If that's the case, give a little extra water (but don't drown the things) and spray some on the leaves tonight or early tomorrow morning (just a tiny bit). You'll know by tomorrow if it's the sun because the leaves will take a more burnt appearance, especially to the outer rims of the leaf (leaf margins).

Good luck! Don't fertilise yet anyway - wait a couple of weeks for their roots to settle in.
Brebiro Gardens - we like getting our hands dirty
brebirodan
Propagator

Postby poppyringo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks brebirodan. I live in sydney. They are going in a full sun spot but today was very overcast and little sun at all. They were propagated at a huge production nursery in Western Sydney which receives absolutely no shade all day...none at all, very dry out there.! Production manager also assured me they could tolerate full sun. So they should be able to manage the sun. No burnt edges yet but i know i have to wait. Am very worried and a bit broken hearted after all my hard work yesterday digging the holes and... not to mention the cost... and the stress i've had to find something that would grow high enough to block the two storey house behind in a hedgey fashion (need more than 5 m eventually...).
poppyringo
Propagator

Postby brebirodan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Okay, well stick to your guns with the watering and see how you go. Don't be disheartened, sometimes these things happen and it can be caused by any changes in environment including soil. I have a feeling they will be just fine, if you keep a light sprinkle daily for the next week (don't overwater the roots system).

Let us know how you go!

Daniel.
Brebiro Gardens - we like getting our hands dirty
brebirodan
Propagator

Postby guzzigirl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm

transplanting does tend to send plants into shock and some trees will react by dropping leaves. I don't know much about these particular ones but I wouldn't panic just yet. Keep the soil moist but not saturated as you don't want to drown any newly forming roots. Watering with diluted seasol will help with the shock but again don't overdo it. Don't fertilise as this can burn newly forming roots too.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby poppyringo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks everyone, i did have a bit of a panic... day 5 and they are still alive...have watered as advised... they dropped a bit more the following day but it has slowed down now and there is some yellowing of inner leaves (on branches not on stems) so i guess these will go too. Nursery advised to trim by 20% but i didn't trim them back this far. They felt it would reduce shock. Also they suggested a dose of seasol now and in 1 week. They seem to be holding and hope they recover...
poppyringo
Propagator

Return to Trees & Shrubs