Ficus Hillii

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Ficus Hillii

Postby creedy04 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi,

I have a few Ficus Hillii to plant and have been told that they are non invasive. Wanted to to triple check before i planted them. Has anybody got an opinion on this??
Thanks
creedy04
Cultivator

Re: Ficus Hillii

Postby brill » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:23 pm

I don't think they are, but I do know they get to be a VERY big tree with buttress roots so I hope you have LOTS of room to plant them away from any pipes.
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:41 pm

I didn't think there was any such thing as an uninvasive ficus.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:47 pm

bubba louie wrote:I didn't think there was any such thing as an uninvasive ficus.

Google says it has very invasive roots.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Tropicgardener » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 pm

They are a very large tropical rainforest Ficus, obviously depending on how warm your climate will effect it's growth rate and subsequent size. Maybe it are planning to plant it in a large paddock, otherwise I would keep it resticted to a pot or large tub. I have seen a number of residential locations where Ficus Hillii has caused substantial damage.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby creedy04 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 am

Thank you all for your reply. We are on a property, 15 000 acres. South west of Rockhampton QLD. We only have 1 tree around the house and I want to plant some more that are fast growing ... and i love the look of the ficus hillii! Maybe you could suggest some others to plant?

So we have heaps of room to plant. The only pipes we have around are the drain off the septic and a few lines of poly pipe which go to troughs etc. How far away from these would you suggest i plant these trees?

We also suffer from some frosts dueing the winter. Am i better off waiting until these frosts go to plant or can i plant and just make sure i have frost covers on all the newly planted trees? Frosts are 2 - 3 months away.

Thanks.
creedy04
Cultivator

Return to Trees & Shrubs