Wisteria

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Wisteria

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:45 am

So on here I saw in the photo section someones beautiful White Wisteria. I loved it so much that I want one!

My mum and I are going to plant one together on my 21st as we live on different sides of australia and its nice to have something alive to remember a specific happy time like doing something together every time we look out the window :)

A few questions though....

Will it grow in southern WA?
Will it be ok if planted in April?
Does she need to do anything specific to look after it?

I think there is a tree variety and vine variety isn't there? (Correct me if i'm wrong). We want to try to get the tree variety if possible.

Any information about them that anyone can provide would be wonderful :)
whit3tig3y
Gardener

Re: Wisteria

Postby littlegarden » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Don't now about WA, all I know is that if your mother is going to plant wisteria she should understand that you have to be a "responsible" owner or they'll cause you grief. They are a very hardy, strong vine so you need to plant them somewhere they won't cause trouble. If she decides to plant one near the porch, for example, she'll need to get up on a ladder every year and trim the top or it'll grow into the gutters. Better to plant it on a fence, gazebo, or arch out where it won't cause trouble if it gets a little wild.

I hadn't heard of a "tree" version before but I just did a google search ... it appears a "tree" version isn't a real tree but a wisteria vine grafted onto a tree trunk. That sounds a bit more manageable than the vine version, but she'd still need to trim the vine-top part every year to keep it in shape. If she planted the tree version too close to the house or another plant, the vine-top can still grow and grow and grow onto things if it's not trimmed.

http://www.beginner-gardening.com/wisteriatree.html

They are beautiful though!
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:21 pm

I forgot to mention she lives on a farm lol She can plant it wherever she likes and has many plants to tend to so she tends to all her plants daily.
whit3tig3y
Gardener

Postby taffyman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:42 pm

whit3tig3y, Try typing into google: bolusanthus speciosus
It's called the Tree Wisteria. It's not a true wisteria but the leaves are almost identical - as are the flowers and it is a real tree. We planted a young (about 1 1/2 metres tall) one here about six months ago and it's doing just fine. I also got some seeds from Ebay - four have germinated and are about 20cm high at the moment.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Whit, I may be wrong, but I suspect what you are thinking of as a tree version might in fact be a standard?!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Pam is right, a tree wisteria is just an ordinary wisteria trained up a post, a very beautiful way to grow it, especially as it ages. The main trouble with wisteria is failure to flower when young, grafted plants are an attempt to ensure reliable flowering. make sure to plant it near the house to enjoy the delicious fragrance.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Ohhhh well this should make things a bit simpler then! I'll have to let my mum know :)
whit3tig3y
Gardener

Postby Mister Wisteria » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm

This is one I trained into a standard, you need to have a strong metal stake for support and it does take a few years to get it right.

This is mine which I tend to let go, don't agree with the theory they take over, I cut this one back to shape a couple of times a year.

Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby whit3tig3y » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:01 pm

They are very pretty Mister Wisteria!!!!! I cant wait to plant one on my mums farm :) And then wait for it to flower though lol
whit3tig3y
Gardener

Return to Trees & Shrubs