Trillium

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Trillium

Postby Durgan » Sat May 09, 2009 9:47 am

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Trillium 8 May 2009 Trillium
Ontario Trilliums normally bloom during May. Most Trilliums are white but can be red and everything in between. The colour is determined by the type of soil they grow in. These flowers are not rare but most Ontario residents frown on people who pick them.

A white trillium serves as the emblem and official flower of the Canadian province of Ontario.

Picking the flowers of Trillium can seriously injure the plant. The three leaves below the flower are the plant’s only food source and a picked trillium may die or take many years to recover.
Durgan, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, Zone 5B
http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal
Durgan
Head Curator

Re: Trillium

Postby taffyman » Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Very interesting plant Durgan, especially about those leaves being the only source of food (Y)
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Trillium

Postby greg.l » Sun May 10, 2009 6:11 pm

I have some red trillium seedlings which I am hoping will flower for the first time this year. In spring I saw lots flowering at mt wilson, they are lovely and can spread quite well when happy. I love the name, it reminds me of hitchhikers guide.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs