frangipani propagation?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

frangipani propagation?

Postby Forever-Mango » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:22 pm

I had a friend that let me take a few cuttings of him Pink frangipani tree. I was wondering, is there any special procedures i should plant it? I researched on the internet and many advise I should leave the cuttings in an upright position and left the wound dry before planting in a moist substrate. I intially have taken a cutting on hardwood during spring when the tips are still dormant, i let it sit in a bottle of water with rooting powder. After a week i noticed some new leaves forming, so i planted in moist soil. Now its got new leaves and flower buds forming. But now its summer, the cutting ive taken are with flower bugs and plenty of leaves. What would you recommend me on doing?

Regards
Stephen
Forever-Mango
Weeder

Re: frangipani propagation?

Postby tam » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi Stephen if it were me I would cut off the flower stalks and all the large leaves [as they are going to take too much out of the plant]then let it dry for a couple of weeks before planting.
I have planted straight away and had no trouble.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Waterlilly » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:11 am

This may be a frustrating story for gardeners. My son (new and very keen gardener) decided the frangipani tree in his front yard was too messy. Cut it down and into pieces during winter and tossed the branches behind his shed. Discovered recently that he has a lot that have put down roots where they are laying and others that have just started shooting AND flowering - so SHOVED a lot of them into pots - seem to be doing well. Sometimes we try to hard, don't you think. Stephen, do you have an appropriate shed????
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby Mattzilla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:15 am

leave it where i is steve

sounds happy enough to me

frangis love very well draining soil so i add perlite and sometimes sand to my potting mix for frangis.

place in a full sun position and don't over water. farngis don't like too much water. repot every second year

fertalise regularly and they will thrive
http://www.austplumeriasoc.herobo.com/index.htm

my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
Mattzilla
Pruner

Postby Darwindude » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:06 am

Mate, you can practically throw a Frangipani cutting on the ground, walk away, not water it and it will grow. I've seen this many times with waste cuttings up here in the Tropics. Throw em on the ground during the dry season and in 6 months time theres a tree sprouting.
My home is my Castle
Darwindude
Propagator

Postby charlie_bruno » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 am

Done all this as usual. But the main "trunk" is looking shriveled. Did I leave it too long to plant?
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Postby abwal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 am

Did I leave it too long to plant?

Possibly. So long as the sap has dried on the cut/broken end, it can be planted. There is no need to leave them lying around for weeks.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 am

CB I once read that they could be rooted in water, so tried it as an experiment, freshly cut, no waiting time. It began growing roots in no time.

I've never grown masses of frangipani to be sure about this, but I suspect the several weeks' waiting time might be more relevant to cooler climates, (which most of us here in Australia don't have at this time of year) and as Abwal says, once the sap has dried out on the end, they should be fine to plant out. Provided they have good drainage they should be fine.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby charlie_bruno » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Well i'd better give this striking in water system a whirl
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Return to Trees & Shrubs