Stump removal & replanting

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Stump removal & replanting

Postby Sprout » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

Hi, apologies if unsuitable but my 1st post and hoping for some help so here goes.
My Q is about removing a swamp-gum tree stump so I can replant in its place.

Long story short it was dangerous and felled about 2+ yrs ago but I now realise not stump-ground so well so within less than 1yr grew what I thought was a weed 2m+ high. Upon digging back I can now tell it was the tree re-growing.

I just paid to have it ground again and he's gone pretty deep but as the photos there's still a sizable amount of wood base.

If you look closely there's a broad 'fish-shape' stump base still left. So I'm keen to know if this appears good enough to replant or should I try and remove more?? - at this rate I just keep finding more wood!!

I plan to plant a flowering gum tree and want ot avoid hassle of original tree growing back or affecting the growth of new tree.

Appreciate any advice,
Sprout
Attachments
stump.JPG
Sprout
Apprentice

Re: Stump removal & replanting

Postby Systema_Naturae » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:36 am

From the look of your photo, I can't imagine the swamp gum coming back from the latest grind. It shouldn't be a problem.
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Postby Sprout » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Systema_Naturae wrote:From the look of your photo, I can't imagine the swamp gum coming back from the latest grind. It shouldn't be a problem.

...well I thought that last time as couldnt see any stump showing (was approx 3-5cm under surface) and then it grew back - big time. See next pic...
Also we get plenty of termites here so keen not to encourage them with decaying wood.
Attachments
Stump-before.JPG
Sprout
Apprentice

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 am

Every place where there was still bark on that original pic had the potential to reshoot, Sprout. I'd have been surprised if it hadn't.

You don't really have a hope of removing all of the root that is remaining. You'll be digging to China. Because they've gone down so far it's not really likely to reshoot, but if it does, just hit them with some roundup EARLY - don't give it a chance to get woody. It will weaken fairly quickly .
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Systema_Naturae » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:30 pm

It looks the arborist you used perhaps didn't poison the stump? Most eucalyptus will coppice, even if cut at or just below ground level. It looks like the stump removal person has taken all of the lignotuberous material out, so it shouldn't reshoot.

I agree with pam - if any does come back this time get on top of it quickly and it should be the end of it.
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Return to Trees & Shrubs