Can these trees/shrubs be saved?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Can these trees/shrubs be saved?

Postby C&C » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm a very novice gardener and have tended to forget about plants once they're in the ground. This has worked well in the past, but with the heat and lack of rain in Sydney over the past couple of months, some of my new acquisitions don't look so well - I "think" it's just a lack of water and I'm hoping that with some dedicated attention over the next few months, I might be able to save them.

Are these a lost cause (and so should I replace them), or will adequate water save them given enough time?

#1 - Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia). Given the constant supply of new flowers and from what I've read about the leaves, this plant is healthy enough and should bounce back next spring, but the majority of the leaves look burnt.

P1090047.jpg

#2 - Conifer (Smaragd). This plant has maintained its half-dead appearance for the last month, so I think it's hanging in there but I'm not sure if it can ever be restored to full health.

P1090050.jpg

#3 - Cordyline Australis (Kirkii). These plants were actually planted in 2011 and while some are quite healthy, two have already died and a couple look like this one. It doesn't look good, but I'm hopeful!

P1090049.jpg

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
C&C
Apprentice

Re: Can these trees/shrubs be saved?

Postby tam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:40 pm

As you said, a good water once a week should make your Crepe Myrtle & Kirkii pick up, but once Conifers are burnt like that they do not recover with new leaves.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs