Halesia Carolina-Snowdrop Tree

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Halesia Carolina-Snowdrop Tree

Postby elijan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

I have this tree for about three years now and planted out twice and then had to put it back in pot because it wasn't happy.Would any of you had any experience with this tree and what position it likes.Thank you for any suggestion.
elijan
Lawn trimmer

Re: Halesia Carolina-Snowdrop Tree

Postby greg.l » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 am

Not very easy to grow in Australia but very pretty. You will need well drained moisture retentive soil, so mix in lots of compost. The same sort of conditions that suit Rhododendrons and dogwoods should suit it, you need to let it get it's roots established and keep well watered for the first few years.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby elijan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Thank you for your help , i think i will wait until spring and then i try again.
elijan
Lawn trimmer

Postby nelson castro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:51 pm

They grow in areas that is in cool, sandy loam, moist, perhaps with part shade.
nelson castro
Gardener

Postby Gdnmaker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello, new to GardenExpress and have been browsing. Noticed the comments re Halesia carolina.... I have a rather sad specimen and would like to purchase another...am in Adelaide Hills, S.A. I haven't seen any in nurseries recently, does anyone have any suggestions where they are available. Thanks
Gdnmaker
Apprentice

Return to Trees & Shrubs