Best Treatment for Old Potbound Viburnums once in Ground

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Best Treatment for Old Potbound Viburnums once in Ground

Postby crag » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:48 pm

I am purchasing 50 Viburnums, that are a bit tired, and a little potbound. I am new at plants, and wondering the best way to get these plants to grown into a successful healthy hedge. I was told some liquid feed to kick them off, and maybe a root prune, but I know nothing about these things. Any tips? Any forcasts on how they will take off? I get them for $11 a plant cos they are tired. or is it better value to get the smaller ones in the lower picture for the same price?

Viburnum susp.JPG
the old rootbound viburnum suspensum

IMAG0037 Suspensum.jpg
Smaller plant
crag
Pruner

Re: Best Treatment for Old Potbound Viburnums once in Ground

Postby abwal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Carefully tease some roots out around the rootball of the larger plants, taking care not to damage the roots. This will help the roots to spread out from the ball.

Some growers suggest that the old potting mix be removed and roots pruned to encourage new growth. If you are not experienced, I would suggest that that you go with the first method above.

Make sure the hole is large enough to enable the plant to be at the same depth in the ground as it was in the pot. I like to have a layer of loose soil at the bottom of the hole particularly in heavy soil.

Keep the soil moist but not wet. Test by scratching away a little of the surface soil and if it is starting to dry out, add some water.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby crag » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Thank you very much. Sounds like good advice.
You obviously think it is worthwhile going for the older plants, carefully, and they should get going, and stay ahead of the smaller ones?

this pic is of the roots
P1000538.JPG
potbound hedge
crag
Pruner

Postby karyn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Saw off the bottom of the roots with a pruning saw or sharp knife, about 2 cms worth should do it. Tease out some of those side roots, tease out the bottom roots that are left, dig a large, rough edged hole, twice the width and depth if you can, and plant the plant at the same depth as it is now. You can soak the root ball in a seaweed solution for a while before replanting if you have a tub big enough. Any roots coiled around will not straighten out. Add some fertiliser to the soil at the bottom of the planting hole, and water well. Some people say you should trim off as much from the top as you do from the roots, but I generally only trim the top to shape it.

If you bought the smaller plants, you would possibly be able to shape them better. If buying 50, I would have thought you could get a better price than $11 each?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby nelson castro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Keep your viburnums well-watered the first year, and be sure to mulch; even viburnums that tolerate dry soil prefer moister conditions when they can get them. After your viburnums are established, you can ignore them if you want to; however, a little attention will pay off.
nelson castro
Gardener

Return to Trees & Shrubs