ID problem with Magnolia little gem on leaves

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

ID problem with Magnolia little gem on leaves

Postby rachpach » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 pm

I have three Magnolia little gems planted - and they have all got damage to their leaves as in the photos attached.
Is anyone able to advise what it is likely to be caused by? I can't see any bugs or pests on the leaves at all. I spread some dynamic lifter over the garden a couple of weeks ago - could this have caused the problem?
Thanks,
Rachel
Attachments
IMG_20130406_164005.jpg
IMG_20130406_163917.jpg
rachpach
Weeder

Re: ID problem with Magnolia little gem on leaves

Postby HortMaster » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:44 pm

If all those marks started like the small brown/yellow mark in the top photo then enlarged outwards... it's potassium deficiency. Add some potassium sulphate (potash) to soil or for quick results do a foliar spray of potassium nitrate:)
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Re: ID problem with Magnolia little gem on leaves

Postby nelson castro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Several types of diseases, including leaf spot, cause damage to magnolia leaves. Leaf spot is a fungal disease that causes oval and irregularly shaped spots in magnolia leaves in the late summer months. Generally damaged leaves caused by this disease appear when the weather has been humid and cool. When leaf spot goes untreated, leaves turn brown and defoliate. Treat leaf spot by spraying your magnolia tree with a fungicide. Apply fungicide in 7- to 21-day intervals.
nelson castro
Gardener

Return to Trees & Shrubs