Lonicera japonica purpurea versus Dutchman's Pipe

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Lonicera japonica purpurea versus Dutchman's Pipe

Postby vinjosau » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 am

I've had the first named (Japanese Honeysuckle?) growing happily after a few years of slow progress.

Recently, a Dutchman's Pipe seems to have self-seeded in the middle of it and also is making strong growth.

I'd be grateful for advice about whether one will eventually suppress the other, and if so which one is likely to win.

Thanks

Vincent
vinjosau
Propagator

Re: Lonicera japonica purpurea versus Dutchman's Pipe

Postby greg.l » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:53 am

You have a battle of the weeds going on. They can probably both co-exist together and eventually smother everything around them. I would advise getting rid of the dutchman's pipe and just keeping the honeysuckle, but keep a good eye on it.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby tam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:47 pm

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Bi ... e-PP78.pdf
Dutchman pipe is an environmental weed.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:20 am

tam wrote:http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Biosecurity_EnvironmentalPests/IPA-Dutchmans-Pipe-PP78.pdf
Dutchman pipe is an environmental weed.

If you're in Queensland, anything other than native species is a DECLARED weed (class 3.) Not sure about the other states, but it would be wise to check. Given that the non native varieties can be toxic to butterflies, I'd be getting rid of it regardless of its declared status.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby vinjosau » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks for the responses. Have dispatched it - the one with the pipe.

Vincent
vinjosau
Propagator

Postby Tropicgardener » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

When I lived in South Eastern Queensland I used to be involved in the Richmond BIrdwing Butterfly project. Unfortunately the native Dutchman Pipe vine cannot compete with the foreign invaders. The hapless butterfly would lay its eggs on it (Aristolochia elegans) and the larvae would hatch, start eating the leaves and die........The native vine from SE Qld/Northern NSW is very slow so I would use the northern vine, Aristolochia tagala (Cairns Birdwing vine) instead of Paristolochia praevenosa........ Interestingly, larvae moved from one species of vine to another were poisoned by the change of diet but if they were hatched on the vine they were fine....... I have been told that the exotic Aristolochia gigantea is not poisonous to Birdwings but can't be sure of this. Basically anywhere from the Richmond River in NSW to Maryborough (Richmond Birdwing) in Qld and from Sarina to Cape York (Cairns Birdwing) you shouldn't have the exotic species on your property.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Return to Trees & Shrubs