Jelutong trees in Victoria?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Jelutong trees in Victoria?

Postby Nobartwood » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Living on a rural property I would like to grow jelutong (rubberwood) trees in part for their looks and for their timber which is notoriously easy to work. I'm aware they are a fast growing species reaching some 20m in height and 60 cm diameter in as little as 7 years. But I can't find the trees to buy anywhere. Would be more than happy to grow from seed. Does anyone know anything about this tree? Im near Warrnambool Victoria
Nobartwood
Lawn trimmer

Re: Jelutong trees in Victoria?

Postby bubba louie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Google gets a bit confusing looking for Jelutong, and comes up with a few different trees. Do you now the scientific name of the species you want?
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 am

Google consistently came up with Dyera costulata for me, and it appears to be the plant you're looking for Nobartwood? Like you though, I came up a blank with anywhere that sells seeds or tubestock of it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 am

Pam wrote:Google consistently came up with Dyera costulata for me, and it appears to be the plant you're looking for Nobartwood? Like you though, I came up a blank with anywhere that sells seeds or tubestock of it.

Goodness knows what I was doing. It was late. LOL
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Woko » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 pm

It seems this is a tropical species & therefore may not survive around Warrnambool. Fortunately, this would mean it would be unlikely to invade natural bushland & other areas of native vegetation.
Woko
Curator

Return to Trees & Shrubs