Is Pittosporum tenuifolium screenmaster long lived?

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Is Pittosporum tenuifolium screenmaster long lived?

Postby mudlark » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:18 pm

Does anyone happen to know if Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Screenmaster' is long lived? I plan to grow it as a stand alone shrub/small tree.
mudlark
Gardener

Re: Is Pittosporum tenuifolium screenmaster long lived?

Postby karyn » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:51 pm

In SA, it doesn't do well at all without Summer watering. I can't speak for anywhere else.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Keo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Not sure about it's life span, but I think you could make a better choice for a stand alone tree. These are mainly used for hedges, I think they look very poor as a tree on their own.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby mudlark » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks Karyn and Keo. I was planning to use it as a screen and was hoping that once established it wouldn't need a lot of water. I've been told the leaves look pretty when they tremble in a breeze. I'll probably use something else as I really don't want a plant that's too thirsty.
mudlark
Gardener

Postby karyn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 pm

There are some great screening Grevilleas that would do well in harsher Summer climates, G. Winpara Gem, G. Winpara Gold, G. Flora Mason, G. Apricot Glow spring to mind. There are probably many other plants that would thrive there as well.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby mudlark » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 pm

If only the roos didn't love them so! I think I'll probably go with a callistemon. I'd dearly love an apricot glow, but don't feel like staring at chicken wire for the next few years.
mudlark
Gardener

Return to Trees & Shrubs