duranta geisha girl

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

duranta geisha girl

Postby mudlark » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Does anyone know how tall duranta geisha girl is likely to grow if I don't prune it? Also I'm wondering how it'll cope with winter shade (it'll have summer sun) - I suspect it'll adapt by dropping even more leaves than durantas usually do in winter. I'm in the Perth hills.
mudlark
Gardener

Re: duranta geisha girl

Postby tam » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I have seen them 3mtrs tall.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby heli » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:00 pm

I have a Duranta repens and it is about 3 metres tall. I just pruned it to 1.2 metres today. I'm considering to remove it all together as it is listed as weed by Brisbane government website.
heli
Propagator

Postby mudlark » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks Tam.
Heli, is your duranta the Geisha Girl cultivar? I thought Geisha Girl was supposed to be much less weedy than the other durantas.
mudlark
Gardener

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:58 am

I've seen them about 4 or 5 metres.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby heli » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 am

mudlark wrote:Thanks Tam.
Heli, is your duranta the Geisha Girl cultivar? I thought Geisha Girl was supposed to be much less weedy than the other durantas.

Mine was originally in a flower pot left behind by the previous property owner. Left in the garden, it broke the pot and established root in the ground and it grew out of control.

It is listed as "low priority pest species" under "Environmental weeds" at the website
http://weeds.brisbane.qld.gov.au/weeds/duranta

heli
Propagator

Postby mudlark » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

4 or 5m!!! the label says 2m. Maybe it won't get quite so tall over here with our dryer conditions.
mudlark
Gardener

Postby heli » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:12 pm

mudlark wrote:4 or 5m!!! the label says 2m. Maybe it won't get quite so tall over here with our dryer conditions.

Wikipedia says it can grow up to 6m, and its leaves and berries are toxic and are confirmed to have killed childrem.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duranta_erecta

Duranta repens is a synonym for Duranta erecta. Geisha girl is a variety of cultivars.

My plant does not have a label. I took a sample to botanical garden and the botanists told me it is Duranta repens.
heli
Propagator

Return to Trees & Shrubs