pruning leader on Dancer Pear

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

pruning leader on Dancer Pear

Postby mudlark » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:54 pm

I've bought a large Dancer Pear (Pyrus betulaefolia) which is leaning terribly. I plan to stake it once I plant it out, but it'll need to be a pretty tall stake. I'm wondering if it would help the tree to straighten if I prune out the main leader and allow the next shoot to become the leader (in the photo the leader is the horizontal one that heads off to the right, and the one I think could take over is the stem immediately to the left of it that shoots up vertically and disappears at the top of the photo - ie the 2 branches together form a slightly wonky 'L' shape). What I'm concerned about is whether pruning out the main leader will result in a weakness at that pruned spot, once it becomes a large tree. Can anyone advise me?
Attachments
P1010011.JPG
mudlark
Gardener

Re: pruning leader on Dancer Pear

Postby Keo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:37 pm

So long as you do nice cuts and prune properly you won't create future weaknesses. The vertical branch will probably become dominant anyway but you will only help it along by trimming the other bit off.
Keo
Groundsperson

Re: pruning leader on Dancer Pear

Postby mudlark » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks Keo, that's reassuring.
mudlark
Gardener

Return to Trees & Shrubs