Best way to poison a tree

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Best way to poison a tree

Postby BassTeQ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:56 am

Hi all,

Just new to the forums, and hoping for a solution to a tree problem. In our backyard we have a large garage that sits about 400mm from the fence line. Some trees have self seeded and been growing there for many years. I always thought they were on the neighbors property until I tool a closer look and found them on mine :( They are causing issues with the fence and my garage.

Anyhow I have cut them down as best I can pretty much to the top of the fence line, I cant get in tools in the narrow space to cut them any lower. What I've been able to do is drill some holes in the remaining parts of the tree, insert some irrigation hose and I fill up the hose with a very strong mix ox concentrated Zero and water. I've been topping up the mix about every 2 weeks for the past 2 months.

To my surprise I see the trees are starting to bud again :( I'm not confident that what I'm doing to kill the remaining tree is working. Does anyone have some tips on how to effectively kill off these trees?

Thanks
BassTeQ
Lawn trimmer

Re: Best way to poison a tree

Postby heli » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:37 am

From what I saw on Brisbane council's weed control website, they say you need to cut thwe tree down to no higher than 15cm and then administer poison. Since you are unable to cut it down to that height, I do not know what to do. I'm interested to hear if someone has a suggestion.
heli
Propagator

Postby Keo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 pm

fresh cuts then paint on pure glyphosate, no mixing with water just pure poison. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work first time. If it doesn't though then persistence is key.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby BassTeQ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

So forget where I've drilled the holes and try a fresh cut across the remaining stump, then paint the surface with glyphosate?
BassTeQ
Lawn trimmer

Postby kombi69 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm

it may be worth considering removing the fence temporarily so you can do what needs doing to the tree(s) then reinstall the fence
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby tam » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Bass as soon as you make the cut paint on the glyphosate straight away before it seals over.
Do one tree at a time.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Keo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 pm

I'd be trying to do a complete cut right across the trunk eg cut in half with a chainsaw, and paint all of it. Not drilling holes and putting it in there. I should have also added success will depend on size of trunk and height from ground. The greater for both the less chance of success.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby bubba louie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:11 pm

We used something called a Tree and Blackberry Killer. I believe it's quite a bit stronger than Zero.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:07 am

Roundup can take quite a long time to work, it slowly kills the roots. You need to wait months, not weeks.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby BassTeQ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks all,

I'll do as suggested.I can manage to squeeze/stand between the fence and garage so might try with a reciprocating saw to cut them low as possible.
Will also purchase some Tree and Blackberry Killer!

Cheers
BassTeQ
Lawn trimmer

Postby Geoff Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 am

My personal experience losing a tree :)

We had a 15m (45') tall gum nearly a metre in diameter which had grown less than 2 meters from the corner of the house. The path slabs were lifting (toe stubbers) and I noticed a small crack through two ground level bricks.

I started digging and scraping through hard clay beside the path and exposed three roots each about 6cm diameter within a 25cm xx hole. In English :), three roots the size of a ladies forearm in a one foot square and deep hole.

I sawed a 6 inch piece out of the roots and painted the away edges with glyco to hopefully prevent suckering tho I don't know if gums do that. On a whim I wiped the brush off on the tree side of the cuts. Remember we are talking just 3 roots as round as a teacup. Just part of probably a thousand roots on a big tree.

JUST TWO WEEKS LATER, and to my surprise, the leaves all went yellow and brown. Six weeks later the tree was pronounced dead by the tree feller (I like that pun) and converted to mulch.

This was unintentional but very pleasing. If I need to arrange the demise of a problem tree again I'll use that 'fixing the pathway' method.

Cheers, Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Postby BassTeQ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Geoff,

In not able to get to the roots unfortunately due to limited space, but thanks for the tip!
BassTeQ
Lawn trimmer

Postby heli » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:17 pm

This seems to be a good method of killing a tree without cutting it:

http://county.wsu.edu/benton-franklin/g ... Stumps.pdf
heli
Propagator

Postby Tropicgardener » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 pm

I used 'Woody Tree Killer' (available from nurseries and produces) and mixed it with Kero to kill a large fig tree........I made numerous cuts around the trunk and painted and soaked them. It only took a few days to start to die.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby bubba louie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Tropicgardener wrote:I used 'Woody Tree Killer' (available from nurseries and produces) and mixed it with Kero to kill a large fig tree........I made numerous cuts around the trunk and painted and soaked them. It only took a few days to start to die.

I think woody tree killer is the same thing as tree and blackberry killer.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby BassTeQ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Tropicgardener wrote:I used 'Woody Tree Killer' (available from nurseries and produces) and mixed it with Kero to kill a large fig tree........I made numerous cuts around the trunk and painted and soaked them. It only took a few days to start to die.

How many applications of the tree killer did you do?
BassTeQ
Lawn trimmer

Postby Tropicgardener » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:00 pm

One application was all that it took and that was despite the heavy rain we had on the following day.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Return to Trees & Shrubs