Thuja Occidentalis "Smaragd" Root System

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Thuja Occidentalis "Smaragd" Root System

Postby JK200sx » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:27 pm

My wife has purchase a number of these "Smaragd" mini conifer looking shrub/trees to be used as a border in our front yard against the side fence. The issue that I'm worried about is the root system and was wandering how big/deep/dense or invasive a root system these trees have? The tree closest to the house will be about 2 metres away and most of the ground between the tree and the house is covered in concrete. The other issue I'm concerned with is that the front yard is stepped with brick retaining walls and wandering if there woud be a problem here?

I'm assuming that if the tree is classified as a small variety, then the root system would also be small. Also, as with other conifers that, does this tree make it difficult to grow other plant plants nearby because they "poison" the soil?

Any replies would be appreciated?
JK200sx
Apprentice

Re: Thuja Occidentalis "Smaragd" Root System

Postby tam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:49 pm

tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs