Photina robusta getting eaten

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Photina robusta getting eaten

Postby Wal » Sun May 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Hey all, not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but I've got a photinia robusta hedge which something is eating. Just wondering what the best chemical is to spray on them?
Also when should I prune them? I'm located in flinders ranges.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wal
Lawn trimmer

Re: Photina robusta getting eaten

Postby Pam » Mon May 02, 2016 5:56 am

Are there many of the leaves affected? If not, I'd be more inclined to simply remove them and save the money. If you snip them off, leaving just a bit of the stalk they're attached to, they'll regrow again in no time.

It's not a concern that you mentioned, but your plant is deficient in nitrogen, as demonstrated by the yellowing between the veins. A good feed should fix this.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Wal » Fri May 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Yes it's just a few on each plant, mainly on top. Was just concerned they were going to get stuck into the new shoots! Thanks for picking that up will give them a bit of urea tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help.
Wal
Lawn trimmer

Postby Wal » Sat May 21, 2016 10:14 am

Hi,
they are getting eaten even worse now; even in the new leaves and buds. I can't seem to find an insect on any of them, but I'm assuming it's a large insect??
What would be the best chemical to prevent this from happening? I have sprayed imidacloprid based spray on the foliage but it hasn't seemed to work so far...
Wal
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Tue May 24, 2016 9:07 pm

You might be better with a systemic spray.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs