Growing Young Oaks

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Growing Young Oaks

Postby abrogard » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:26 pm

Now I don't know whether these are considered native or not.

I reckon they came from England being grown from acorns like the oaks of England.

But I picked them up from the ground under an oak in Australia, South Australian country town.

Now I've got a dozen of them coming up in pots. And I'm a bit worried about how to care for them.

I figure they should be able to handle plenty of water, being European, but then again perhaps they're an acclimatised Australian breed and can't?

What to do?

They're in quart pots of potting mix right now. And the tallest would be six or seven inches high.

They're looking a bit pale to me.

And I suddenly realised what I was thinking was a good start may be nothing more than the food that enormous (relatively) acorn was providing and maybe I'm doing everything wrong and when that acorn nourishment is all gone they'll wither and die.

Better ask for more information...

Anyone happen to know about this ?
abrogard
Curator

Re: Growing Young Oaks

Postby karyn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Lots of food and water, not suitable for pots long term. I don't think they'll like Murray Bridge (are you still living there?) but you can try. You can bponsai them if that's your thing. They grow HUGE once established - not a suitable backyard tree for today's small blocks.. They seem to prefer cooler, wetter, more acidic parts of the state like Crafers, Stirling - or it could just be that there are more English style gardens there.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:10 pm

karyn wrote:Lots of food and water, not suitable for pots long term. I don't think they'll like Murray Bridge (are you still living there?) but you can try. You can bponsai them if that's your thing. They grow HUGE once established - not a suitable backyard tree for today's small blocks.. They seem to prefer cooler, wetter, more acidic parts of the state like Crafers, Stirling - or it could just be that there are more English style gardens there.

Thanks for that, Karyn. It's as I thought. I think I picked these acorns up somewhere close up on the Western side of the range - maybe Lenswood. Flourishing alright there. Yes, we're still in Murray Bridge. One of our little drives used to be a circle via Palmer and Mt Pleasant and back again on the old highway. Got them at one of our regular stops where there's a large park or show ground or something.

Lots of food and water? Just general tree food? Treat as any other tree?

And I've read about the really long tap root they put down. To me that means don't keep in pots for long as you're preventing the growth of that root.

I wonder if you could have a guess at a suitable time frame for keeping them in pots and for how long?

We don't have a place for them so I'd like to identify some place where I could plant them if there any such places available, perhaps I should talk to National Parks.

Meantime I'd like to keep them as long as is sensible for them in the hopes that things may change and we do find ourselves with somewhere to put them !
abrogard
Curator

Postby greg.l » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:45 pm

I have grown a few oaks from seed but then I own a 20Ha property. They don't grow in pots very long due to the taproot. You can't just go somewhere and plant them because they grow very big and aren't native to Australia.maybe put an ad on gumtree to see if anyone wants them.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:38 pm

I will. Thanks.

Better get a move on, too.

Maybe start tonight, emailing nat parks and forestry. I guess they'd only want natives but maybe not... if this is the original english oak surely there's some merit in having it around.

The council somewhere just west of the adelaide hills is growing 'em.

:)
abrogard
Curator

Postby karyn » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Oak trees come up in their millions under established oaks, so it's unlikely anyone would buy them.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Trees & Shrubs