How to kill a rhobinia

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

How to kill a rhobinia

Postby jarnie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 am

I have a fairly large Golden Rhobinia which is sending up suckers all over the place up to 20 metres from the tree which I am forever pulling out. The trunk near ground level is about 25-30 cm in diameter and it is up up 14 years old.

I think I want to get rid of it but I don't think cutting it down will stop the suckering. What can I use to poison it, when should I poison it and how should I poison it (cut it down and then apply the poison to the top of the cut trunk)? I fear than even after cutting it down it will continue to sucker just like grafted passion fruit does.

Thanks

John
John
jarnie
Lawn trimmer

Re: How to kill a rhobinia

Postby abwal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Cut number of groove or drill a number of holes in the top of the stump and apply Roundup. Cut the top from any suckers and paint with Roundup.
If the suckers are in lawn, just regular mowing will get rid of them permanently.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Trees & Shrubs