4 Tier mini greenhouse...not happy!!!

We welcome your feedback on the Garden Express website and ideas on how we can better serve your needs.

Moderator: Forum_mod

4 Tier mini greenhouse...not happy!!!

Postby karyn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I bought a 4 tier mini greenhouse from the last catalogue, and have had no end of trouble with it. First, there were no instructions, so GE scanned some and emailed them to me. Then, there were parts missing, so GE sent those. Then, I discovered one of the existing parts was broken, and 3 others were unusable. So...GE sent me replacements for those. Now the cover doesn't fit...it's supposed to reach the ground and it's a good 30cms short. So they sent me a new one, which is exactly the same. I have compared mine with the one on the internet, and it looks slightly higher but is assembled correctly. So I'm waiting on yet another phone call to see if there are bigger covers. In the meantime, I thought since it's cold and raining, I'd put on the cover they sent me because at least it'd protect the higher shelves...AND THE DAMN ZIPPER BROKE!!! IT DOESN'T EVEN DO UP AROUND THE DAMN THING!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not Happy, GE!!!!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: 4 Tier mini greenhouse...not happy!!!

Postby orchid40 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:52 pm

I've had zippers break on all those type of things, very frustrating :(
Gardening`s just another Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but I don`t want a cure !
orchid40
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Not trying to minimise your comments in any way Karyn, but we bought one of those put-together type greenhouses a few years ago and also had trouble getting the cover to fit. Although we were careful in putting it together, it turned out we'd still managed to use the wrong tubes in the wrong spot.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Every time I have had one of these greenhouses I have had problems with the cover fitting...until TBD told me to put the cover in the sun for an hour or so and then fit it. It worked like a charm... because the plastic was more pliable it fitted like a glove..and no problems with the zip.
Maybe that is the way to go.
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Mr W gave me one for Xmas 5 years ago, elcheapo marked down at Kmart and I have just tossed it out and the plstic finally went after many years in the sun , and they same as Mids, waiting till the cover was soft and then puled it down lower, and as long as the shelfs are covered is all that matters (Y) and lets face it most dont come with instructions as such I rely on the pic on the box these days as all are made in China anyways :evil:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Bulbinella » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:59 am

midgin wrote:Every time I have had one of these greenhouses I have had problems with the cover fitting...until TBD told me to put the cover in the sun for an hour or so and then fit it. It worked like a charm... because the plastic was more pliable it fitted like a glove..and no problems with the zip.
Maybe that is the way to go.

way to go .... thats what I did with mine, I've had it for almost 12 months and no probs with it.
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:32 pm

It seems that most of these type of things regardless of where you buy them are somewhat cheap and nasty, the one I bought Thee falls into this category. It did last 5 years (well sort of) but it never went together well and the cover was a bugger to get on and didn't fit properly any way. I think it cost about $40-00 at the time so I suppose we did okay. By the way, if it got caught in the slightest breeze it took off for far away places. I suspect that if you want one of these things you need to pay a fair bit more and buy a bit of quality. :roll:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm

I have one that is more sturdy which I am very happy with (also cost a bit more.) You could get a winter (hothouse) cover or a shadcloth cover for summer for it. I am wanting a new winter cover now after many years but the place I bought it has shut down and I haven't been able to find anyone else that sells them :(
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:27 pm

A few more happenings...I got home today and found it collapsed onto my grapevines and raspberry canes, taking with it all of the boxes holding my tubes of cuttings. So it's going into a box and going back and I DON'T recommend it to anyone! GE has given me a credit and has apologised (not their fault, it's obviously a crap product), but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done for my poor grapevine, correas, or grevilleas. Some of these were just starting to root and were very hard to strike so when I rang GE I was absolutely livid. All credit to Vanessa who was extremely helpful in the face of adversity!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: 4 Tier mini greenhouse...not happy GE!!!

Postby Mister Wisteria » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:51 pm

karyn wrote:A few more happenings...I got home today and found it collapsed onto my grapevines and raspberry canes, taking with it all of the boxes holding my tubes of cuttings. So it's going into a box and going back and I DON'T recommend it to anyone! GE has given me a credit and has apologised (not their fault, it's obviously a crap product), but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done for my poor grapevine, correas, or grevilleas. Some of these were just starting to root and were very hard to strike so when I rang GE I was absolutely livid. All credit to Vanessa who was extremely helpful in the face of adversity!

What a Bummer. :twisted: :roll:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby ian » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your poor plants. I had followed up with your original post and it seems that we received a batch from a new supplier that included ones that weren't to the standard we (and our customers) would expect. We offer a less expensive range knowing that not everyone wants to spend a lot on that sort of product but we still want it to work satisfactorily. When it doesn't we will at least stand by our guarantee - not the preferred outcome for anyone but its important to have it there when needed. If anyone has a problem please don't hesitate to let us know as it at least gives us a chance to do something about it.
ian
Site Admin

Postby gnol » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:48 pm

I was going to buy something like one of those then I realised that I had what was essentially a frame laying about. So I bought some plastic sheeting and made a crude one.

I'm not really sure how well it works as I have never used a greenhouse before.
gnol
Gardener

Postby jack » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:42 am

i saw years ago now a good solution to the 4 tier plastic greenhouse and that was use bubblewrap and velcro tags. ie wrap in bubblewrap and the use velcro tags which are cheap and at most office supply joints to hold it closed, ie over wrap the bubblewrap a few feet past the join and you get a nice join.
you can use double sided tape or liquid nails if you want to fix to the frame on a permanent basis as well.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Coustralee » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 am

I got a cheap one of these from The Warehouse for $10, the cover ripped from a gust of wind, havent gotten around to patching it up, or if ill bother.. maybe ill make a better cover out of something thicker.

The other problem I had was it will blow over if you dont keep it stacked with something... the shelves aren't the most solid either once you start piling a few pots on.
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Return to Feedback