Camera and Pictures (follow on)

We welcome your feedback on the Garden Express website and ideas on how we can better serve your needs.

Moderator: Forum_mod

Camera and Pictures (follow on)

Postby waldon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12587

Ha ha, one of my fav bug bears, the image posting question. What a thread to return to.

The problem is this..this software needs upgrading, come up to 2008 and allow this forum to become so much the better. Make it simpler to post decent size images where the software automatically configures a thumbnail size pic so the readers can click on for a full size.

Also, be rid of the old style gallery idea, and encourage photos relative to the theme they are posting them in. The roses forum has pictures of roses etc.

Also part two, I think you'll find that most users are using faster more powerful PCs than before.

amen..
Wal
Brisbane
waldon
Curator

Re: Camera and Pictures

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:19 pm

You've said all this before, Waldon. The system here clearly doesn't suit your needs, so I'm not sure why you bother with it?!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby waldon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Pam wrote:You've said all this before, Waldon. The system here clearly doesn't suit your needs, so I'm not sure why you bother with it?!

My needs ? No, not all, I'm thinking of all the photo enthusiasts. That was a valid suggestion that gets more and more relevant as the days go by, hence I will repeat it once a year until with a bit of luck and common sense, it sinks in.

Pam , that was quite attacking of you, is this your own personal web site or something ?

Maybe it is.
Wal
Brisbane
waldon
Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm

There was clearly no attack in what I said Waldon. And no, I am simply a member of the forums, like everyone else.

Ian puts as much time and resources as he can into these forums, and tries to suit the needs of ALL members.

As you clearly have concerns though, and the topic raised has nothing to do with Durgan's original post, I'll split it into separate discussions so as not to sabotage the original post. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: Camera and Pictures (follow on)

Postby taffyman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 pm

Personally, I don't have any problems with posting photos here on GE. I post them on my photobucket account, then generate the 'clickable thumbnail' links and post them in my topic or replies. Works for me :-?
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:48 pm

Ditto, with the odd ones I like to do a full frontal attacks :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 pm

taffyman wrote:Personally, I don't have any problems with posting photos here on GE. I post them on my photobucket account, then generate the 'clickable thumbnail' links and post them in my topic or replies. Works for me :-?

I do the same, I also use Photobucket to post my picks on other Forums, seems to me the only way to go, put it on Photobucket and use them any where you want. :D Anyway, if the site's upgraded who pays for it, GE of course, not the members as with some other sites. :roll:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Durgan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:30 am

My gratuitous view is the free "bucket" systems are Stonehenge technology. I have used everyone over the years and find them most irritating to view. They are slow, and prevent people from using the many pictures they have available. There are better ways, and one doesn't have to be a computer nerd to utilize-just a bit of effort.

Forum software is very cheap today and often free of charge, and I set up a good working forum in about an hour.
Durgan, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, Zone 5B
http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal
Durgan
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:45 am

I was wondering if you had used a software program Durgan. May I enquire which one please? I very much like the layout of your picture pages.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:52 am

Pam wrote:I was wondering if you had used a software program Durgan. May I enquire which one please? I very much like the layout of your picture pages.

I'd like to know too, as I love the way your phtos are displayed durgan.
Lin
Garden Wizard

Postby ian » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 am

As Durgan said, photos are an effective way of sharing a garden. One of the reasons for adding the Gallery was to make it easier to post thumbnails into regular topics. A number of people didn't find it easy to set up an account somewhere to host their photo to then add it into their post. Now it can be done within a Forum member's existing account:

You can attach a photo directly into a post but it is a bit tidier to upload it to the Gallery (which keeps all your photos in one place) and then simply copy the thumbnail link into your post. For competitions the Gallery makes it a bit easier to see all the entries together. The idea is for members to give feedback so that where practicable the Forums can continue to add to members enjoyment.
ian
Site Admin

Postby karyn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:13 am

I think it's great Ian, I use photobucket but I tend to cling with both hands onto the small amounts of technology that I understand !!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:15 am

karyn wrote:I think it's great Ian, I use photobucket but I tend to cling with both hands onto the small amounts of technology that I understand !!

:lol: Karyn, I think a lot of us are like that.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Durgan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am

Computer technology is easy to learn, but it does take some effort. A computer expert is only some person who knows one more click than you do.

When the Internet first became attractive in the nineties, I simply got an account and sat down for 10 days and learned all the in and outs, and never looked back. In general it takes longer to read the long winded instructions than to learn the applications. A tutor to answer question may help but usually not. Most has to be learned by yourself.

After playing around with pictures for a few years using the bucket systems, I decided to utilize my own system using existing readily available software. I tried almost all the software out there at one time or another. Now I have the best system on the internet for displaying pictures, and I say this without embarrassment. It is a fact.

Here is the system. This is not a computer nerd solution. It is simply learning a few simple applications. Once learned it is yours forever.

Website and Sending pictures over the Internet:
If a tree falls in the forest and no-one hears it, does it make a noise? This applies to those wonderful, pictures you have on your computer. Sharing them with others is fun and they may even like to view them. I have tried all methods and this procedure I present here is by far the best. It is relatively cheap and non-intrusive for the recipient. I have about 30 thousand photos on my site over a time period of about 8 years. They are always available by sending the URL via E mail, or posting on any forum. This method is far superior to all the free websites that allow people to post pictures.

The procedure is: Download your pictures from camera to a directory on your computer. Open Breezebrowser to make an HTML file. Upload this file using FTP to the pub directory on your website. Copy the URL from the website and put it in your browser address line and hit go. Send the URL anywhere you like and anybody can open the directory to your pictures. This method is far superior to all the free websites that allow people to post pictures. I upload photos within literally minutes of getting home from a shoot, and notify all the recipients via E mail as to the URL of the site.

Method for Handling Photographs for distribution. Total cost less than 100 dollars a one time cost.

Get a web site. Probably less than $7.00 per month. There are many but here is one: http://www.bluehost.com/

Get Breezebrowser to make HTML of your photos, to file, plus annotation if necessary. It only requires a few minutes to process pictures at any size ready for uploading to the website. http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/

Get WS FTP or any other FTP program to upload your photos to your web site. http://www.download.com/3000-2160-10018456.html

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?CAEZO 14 July 2008 Sunflower (Helianthus) Here is a a sample of how the pictures are received. Simply click on the thumbnail and the larger picture appear. The size is determined by the maker of the HTML page. Simple and Clean.
Using the method described above you are free of the shrills and their constant advertising on the various "Free" photo websites. Your site will be clean and fast. The uploaded photos will be excellent for viewing but not necessarily for printing.

If the users want prints you can send the originals at a size that they can print using this free software via E mail. http://s6.yousendit.com/

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?SIZCQ Summary: Website and sending pictures over the internet.
Durgan
Head Curator

Postby Durgan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 am

Lin and Pam.
Thank your for your interest in my photo display system. The original post was to determine if there was any interest in picture handling. Usually I run into a brick wall when suggesting something better. All the garden forums are abysmal with regards to picture handling, and most are stuck in a mindset and refuse to even listen regarding a better system.

Describing some garden plant with prose is ridiculous, when a few pictures can represent the issue clearly. Almost everybody has a digital camera of some sort, which is more than adequate for garden shots. It is the web display system that needs improving.

All you have to fear is fear itself.
Durgan
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks for the info Durgan. I think most of us probably have webspace provided by our isp that we don't use, so the ongoing cost would be reduced to nil.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Durgan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:55 am

Pam wrote:Thanks for the info Durgan. I think most of us probably have webspace provided by our isp that we don't use, so the ongoing cost would be reduced to nil.

Usually the ISP supplies a bit of space, but it is usually small, but a good place to practice on. Pictures eventually take a lot of storage space, hence a commercial supplier. There are other perks with a commercial supplier, that you will eventually want to utilize. I used about three hosts, over the years, and had to change for various reasons. Now with Bluehost, I have more than I will ever use. I think I have about 30 gig of pictures up. This particular supplier is flawless, and hasn't been down to the best of my knowledge, and the online help is acceptable, slightly better than the usual gab flab one gets from technical help. And only seven dollars per month.

In the final analysis the Host is simply a computer away from home. A great place to store any file. I use my host even for my Journal. It is just another directory, almost like having a spare hard drive.
Durgan
Head Curator

Return to Feedback