Love It!

We welcome your feedback on the Garden Express website and ideas on how we can better serve your needs.

Moderator: Forum_mod

Love It!

Postby Darrow » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:07 am

I love this forum. I am a member of a garden forum in Canada which is good to participate in, however, in our winter (your summer) I have some place to go and see gardening going on. It gets quite boring being housebound in our long cold winters, looking out the windows and seeing nothing but white for as far as the eye can see. You have such a vast selection of sections one can view on this forum. It just boggles my mind. A person could spend all day at the computer reading every post and one wouldn't even notice the time go by. Super site! (Y) (Y)
Darrow
Propagator

Re: Love It!

Postby Pam » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Darrow, I couldn't begin to even imagine temperatures as low as yours must get, let alone the cabin fever. Is your snow melting yet?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Darrow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi Pam, sorry for the delay in replying to your question. I hadn't turned the computer on for several days. You asked if our snow is melting yet. In the area where I live it is just starting to melt. Some days are with strong sunshine and temperature in the plusses which helps the melting process. The odd thing though is that at nights it can drop down to -21 again. The experts say that is a good way for the snow to go, warm in daytime and cool at night.. That way we shouldn't have serious flooding. We see on the news that in some towns as close as 300 miles away they appear to have no snow left on the ground. One can almost be jealous, however, I am thankful to finally have some sunshine. It gives one an incentive to get up in the morning. I am anxiously awaiting the day I can take a tour around my garden and look for the tips of spring bulbs peeking out above the ground. Hope lives eternal that I can get my garden in shape this year. There were lots of weeds last year which I didn't get pulled before the fall came upon us.

P.S. I would love to send you a picture of how much snow we had this year but I still haven't purchased a camera to enable me to do this. There are so many cameras to choose from it is difficult to choose.

Cheers
Darrow
Propagator

Postby MacMaples » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi Darrow. I live in one of Australia's notoriously cold places and although we have freezing nights in winter it rarely gets below about -5. I love your avatar. :)
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby Darrow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 am

Hi, MacMaples greetings from Canada

Your coldest goes to perhaps -5 - I'll take it! Even today, the temp is hovering around 0. It is pretty overcast and the weatherman is predicting freezing rain. :evil: We have been getting quite a bit of that. Never had freezing rain before we started hearing of global warming. Although it is pretty to see ice glistening on tree branches and everywhere else , it is a very treacherous time. Hydro wires come down with the weight of the ice. We often have times where we go without hydro for hours on end. The ice causes branches to break off trees with the weight of the ice. The snow has been melting slowly for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see it go especially since last evening, after the hour we turned lights out for Earth Hour, I viewed some pics of the garden of a forum member. By gosh, there was so much green - it was beautiful - shrubs with large flowers, flower pots with plants, garden paths, etc.

The migrating birds are coming to the feeders in large numbers. That is one thing I do like about winter. It never ceases to amaze me how little creatures like birds can fly such great distances and exist in the cold whereas myself I don't even want to go outside.

Thanks for your comment on my avatar. Strange thing though, just the day before yesterday, I was attempting to upload another picture as an avatar which didn't work. Guess the new pic was too large. When I first stumbled upon this forum I selected the avatar you see today from the choices of avatars given. I am not sure if the picture is a robin but the colours are very similar to a robin's - the red breast. The robin is the bird that heralds the true coming of spring to our great north. If one spots a robin you know spring is here. I haven't seen one yet this year. Any day now -- spring is coming like a (sn)

Cheers
Darrow
Propagator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:38 am

A friend of MrBL lived in Saskatewan for a while. We've heard lots of COLD stories. :shock: :shock: :shock:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Darrow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Bubbalouie,

Did MrBL return to Australia? Saskatchewan is usually worse off than we are. At least we have lots of evergreen trees around to break the chilly winds - the prairies don't have many trees at all.
Darrow
Propagator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Darrow wrote:Hi Bubbalouie,

Did MrBL return to Australia? Saskatchewan is usually worse off than we are. At least we have lots of evergreen trees around to break the chilly winds - the prairies don't have many trees at all.

MrBL wasn't over there, just his mate, who has since returned.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:20 pm

MacMaples wrote:Hi Darrow. I live in one of Australia's notoriously cold places and although we have freezing nights in winter it rarely gets below about -5. I love your avatar. :)

I'd gladly swap you some of our heat/humidity. I don't like summer.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Darrow » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:22 am

Bubba Louie, I apologize for not reading correctly. I missed that it said a friend of MrBL. :oops: :oops: I better get a move on and buy those reading glasses. :roll:

I truly don't blame the friend for returning back.

I'm not partial to humidity either. There is only the odd day herethat is humid - not too many. I just like it when there is bright sunshine and temps anywhere above 75. We hear that many times there are days there when you are in the high 30s to 40s. Bit too hot for me. Guess we are never happy with weather but it gives us something to talk about anyway.

Take care.

Cheers
Darrow
Propagator

Return to Feedback