Inactive Users / Zero Posts

We welcome your feedback on the Garden Express website and ideas on how we can better serve your needs.

Moderator: Forum_mod

Inactive Users / Zero Posts

Postby DrDuncs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:01 pm

I had a look at the member list and noticed that around half of all members have never made a post. While some may be new members (welcome all), there are some that have been there for years and probably haven't visited the site for years also. Would it help the site to clear up old user accounts, say no posts and no site visit for 12 months????
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Re: Inactive Users / Zero Posts

Postby jack » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 am

you will find some people use PM to people and thus dont show up all that often, i know their is a lot of members who appeared to solve a problem and then vanished but at the moment way this forum is setup its hard to tell. i member of several other forums and on a few of them you see a note that shows last logon date and time, if we had this feature then ian or other mods could do some cleaning, but really are they doing us any harm being on our list?
jack
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:28 pm

jack wrote: but really are they doing us any harm being on our list?

That's the way Ian sees it
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:51 pm

I own a successful forum myself (writing one and the same software as Garden Express' forums) and have had this come up once or twice also. You can have it set up in the profiles to show Sign up Date and last login date. My response is this. A lot of visitors will often base the decision to sign up solely on how active the board is. Now, some will look at the "total users" at the bottom of the page. If they see say 5000 members, it may be enough for them to say "well its popular enough to have that many members." In all reality, perhaps 20 of those members are regulars enough to keep the board being active.

You could delete all the non posters and have "total users" down to say 200. Then any potential new member/visitor may look at that and think "not worth it. the board is dead, only 200 members" Also the user registrations take up almost no space in the database. I know my database with 1200 members is only around 20mb.

In short, leaving the inactives registered is a form of self advertising for the board that will encourage people to sign up and have a say.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Heart_Of_Hush » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:28 am

you know something, i hope you DON'T do this.

This is just so wrong and not fair to those who browse.

why, because maybe like me, us members come here, we search in the search box or we just read and look at every post or section and we READ, we don't post BUT we learn from others.

Isn't that what forums are about, to learn from each other.

If this forum is going to do this, then maybe i should leave now.

I came here today to do just as i had mentioned.

Search, read and if what i need to know is here already posted then i leave knowing that all these wonderful members have helped me.

and you know something else, there have been times i have just sent the person a pm and said thank you in private.

why you even suggested this i have no idea.

well now i am off to read, learn and look around...just browsing or surfing i guess.

please dont do this

thank you
Heart_Of_Hush
Propagator

Postby abwal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 am

I suspect that there are many 'browers' who have never become members and the forum aims to be a source of information and advice to all visitors - not just to registered members or those members who post regularly. I personally see little point in removing names if there is no real need to do so. I believe a forum is judged on the quality of the posts rather than on the number of members.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby RayE » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I think something needs to be done,its is misleading when youn see that this site has over 3700 members and then you become a member and find out that only a few 100 at the most actually post anything.
I would like to see something on the lines of renewing your member ship every year or two.For instance if membership closers on 31 Dec renewals start on 1 Jan,when you log on wether you post or browse your membership is renewed.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby Damien » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:32 pm

That is an option but only for members who would support the site financially. Ive been on forums where you can donate a small fee for elevated privileges. This donation is viable for a year. However, this is a free site so expecting members to sign up on a yearly basis is bad advertising.

I still think pruning the forum list is a bad idea. I would only agree with it if there were guidelines like "member hasnt logged in for 3 years" or something to that effect as you can see when the last time they logged in. However, thats a massive undertaking.

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Waterlilly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't think reducing the member list is a necessarily a good idea. I have made requests, posted pics and info etc but I do spend time reading almost ALL posts and responses and have learnt a great deal. There is probably no reflection of how many members do this - I guess if they haven't logged on for some years than that is a different matter.....
I always post a reply if I have any info on a particular topic from my own experience.....
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby RayE » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi Damien,although I don't know zip about computers I would have thought that it would not be difficult for Admin to delete a member if it was required.Considering that the info is already there in the members list its only a matter of hitting the delete button,granted that it will take some time to go through all of the members.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby Damien » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 am

I have this type of software for my writers forum. The deleting process is a little convoluted by means of selecting the member, then it takes you to their details page, then delete. This is fine for killing off spammers one or two at a time. But if the list was to be purge of maybe 1000 members who havent logged in for a year, itd be a major undertaking and really not worth it.

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Durgan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:05 am

I have been on several garden forums over the years, and to have a real active forum is obviously very difficult.

I know one forum that bumps up the hits by large amounts to present the view that the forum is active- cheating if you like.

My view is that there are very few gardeners, who can or do operate a computer on the internet. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that there are very few real gardeners.

Gardening and photography scream to be married, yet people are still using prose to describe some, bug, disease or such. Several pictures would make the issue apparent to all. Almost everyone has a camera today, yet fail to use it.

Gardening forums have a long way to go before they become other than a social gossip column. I would love to see photos of peoples gardens, produce, success and failures, but there are seldom such posted.

My two cents worth,
Durgan, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, Zone 5B
http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal
Durgan
Head Curator

Postby The Estate » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 am

I love my garden and love my camera , they are married (Y) I could post a dozen pics here everyday but ppl would soon get sick of it :-?
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby RayE » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Damien,so are you saying,"that it is not worthwhile putting in the hard work to be honest"
In my view if you have not logged on for 3 years your name should be removed,
On the first page of members there are 50 names 46 havent logged on for 3 years and that didn't take forever to do that.
Yes it will take some time to do but,if it's done every year it should be a lot easier the next year.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby Durgan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:13 am

The Estate wrote:I love my garden and love my camera , they are married (Y) I could post a dozen pics here everyday but ppl would soon get sick of it :-?

Try posting. I never get sick of looking at the pictures. I do get sick of trying to decipher prose, which is often confusing, and indeed some things cannot be described adequately for understanding by others.
Durgan
Head Curator

Postby The Estate » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Durgan wrote:
The Estate wrote:I love my garden and love my camera , they are married (Y) I could post a dozen pics here everyday but ppl would soon get sick of it :-?

Try posting. I never get sick of looking at the pictures. I do get sick of trying to decipher prose, which is often confusing, and indeed some things cannot be described adequately for understanding by others.

will do (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby RayE » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Durgan wrote:I have been on several garden forums over the years, and to have a real active forum is obviously very difficult.

I know one forum that bumps up the hits by large amounts to present the view that the forum is active- cheating if you like.

My view is that there are very few gardeners, who can or do operate a computer on the internet. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that there are very few real gardeners.

Gardening and photography scream to be married, yet people are still using prose to describe some, bug, disease or such. Several pictures would make the issue apparent to all. Almost everyone has a camera today, yet fail to use it.

Gardening forums have a long way to go before they become other than a social gossip column. I would love to see photos of peoples gardens, produce, success and failures, but there are seldom such posted.

My two cents worth,

Hi Durgan,some interesting comments there.
What is your definition of a real gardener?
Every body may have a camera,but it seems to me that they also have a lot of trouble in resizing their photos.
Photos of failures,what are failures,this is the lucky country,we don't have them down here :) .
Have posted some pics in Bulbs enjoy.bye Ray
RayE
Head Gardener

Postby Durgan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 pm

RayE wrote:
Durgan wrote:I
Hi Durgan,some interesting comments there.
What is your definition of a real gardener?
Every body may have a camera,but it seems to me that they also have a lot of trouble in resizing their photos.
Photos of failures,what are failures,this is the lucky country,we don't have them down here :) .
Have posted some pics in Bulbs enjoy.bye Ray

A real gardener can be defined loosely many ways. It is not black and white. My personal view is somebody who grows plants to their full potential- judged by comparing: to the best in the garden or compared to other gardens, a garden with a fairly wide variety. if making statements like "no till" backing it up with results, and other criteria as it comes to mind.

I love the comment about failures. What I mean is: For example I got no cucumbers this year due to the fungus downy mildew.

For posting pictures all forums, without exception, do not handle pictures well. I developed my own method for quick and easy viewing
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SXFNP 15 September 2010 Chieftain Potatoes Harvested.
Durgan
Head Curator

Postby Damien » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 am

RayE wrote:Hi Damien,so are you saying,"that it is not worthwhile putting in the hard work to be honest"
On the first page of members there are 50 names 46 havent logged on for 3 years and that didn't take forever to do that.
Yes it will take some time to do but,if it's done every year it should be a lot easier the next year.bye Ray

This is where reality and the internet differ. The internet bases search results on number of hits/visits and also links back to the site. Places like Google can't differentiate between a legit gardener and just a spam bot who signs up. Overall though, it shows up as two visits and that's all that matter. This is very important as it dictates where your site comes up on a google search etc.

From the human perspective, as i've said higher up in this thread... many potential new members look to see how active the forum is before signing up. Even those that say they dont, do in a round about way. You happen to see the member list is 30,000 and that there seem to be posts from today and yesterday. The brain says "popular and busy/active i might sign up." I know when i check out a new forum i look for these things. Most people come to a forum with a question to be answered. There is no point in signing up to a forum with 1000 members and one new post from last week. You wont get the result/answer you need.

As for the "On the first page of members there are 50 names 46 havent logged on for 3 years and that didn't take forever to do that." I think you miss my point. The search function is very quick, its only searching. From an Admins point of view (again i have this very forum as my writers site) it takes more steps than that to delete someone. Even if you can get it down to a minute, based on those first page members thats 46 minutes of "click, accept, next page, click, delete, refresh". Now to expect Ian to do that for 1000's of unused accounts is a waste of time considering he runs Garden Express as a business and has a hell of a lot more work to do to earn a living than kick "bob" from three years ago.

If having inactives sitting in a list is really a problem, try The Estates forum, hers is new with select members who are active on here and there.

Damien
Damien
Head Curator

Postby The Estate » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:40 am

RayE wrote:Hi Damien,so are you saying,"that it is not worthwhile putting in the hard work to be honest"

I also agree in this instance, my little social network, mothers club forum, I delete after 6 months :oops: if they have never made a post , it is public most areas so I can see the problem in doing that (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Feedback