Tool sandbox

Winner is Pam with 'No-climb hanging baskets

Moderator: Forum_mod

Tool sandbox

Postby Carolyn1978 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:38 pm

I just wanted to share what I do for my tools, which is what my Grandad used to do. He kept a bucket of sand with some oil in it and would chop his shovel, spade and garden fork up and down in it a few times after use to clean them and keep them working well and would rub a bit of oil into the wooden handles sometimes.

I have converted an old sandpit for the job here as I have a few more tools than my Grandad had and I wanted to store my tools in it. The sand sloughs off any soil from the tools, the bit of oil keeps everything smooth and I think prevents rust and the beauty of it is the sharp ends are in the sand out of harms way. You can do this with just a bucket or bin of sand depending on how many tools you have. I only put a little bit of oil in but my Grandad used a lot - I think it depends on what you think your tools need.

:D Carolyn
Garden tragic.
Carolyn1978
Head Gardener

Re: Tool sandbox

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Much more practical than trying to squeeze them into a bucket Carolyn. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: Tool sandbox

Postby Carolyn1978 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Yes I doubt I could squeeze mine in a bucket! My Pop didn't actually store his in the sand like I do - he just used the sand to clean them, he stored his tools on pegs on the shed wall :D Carolyn
Garden tragic.
Carolyn1978
Head Gardener

Return to Previous Garden Tips Competition - Garden Tool Tips