Easy Dig Sweet Potatoes

Winner is Bulbinella for 'Cabbage Moth/Butterfly deterrent'

Easy Dig Sweet Potatoes

Postby hillfarm_girl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 pm

I love sweet potato and cook it just about every day.

What I don't love is digging them up! Hard soil, fork through tubers, broken fingernails :x . So I was determined to find a better way.

I recycled a big old tractor tyre and filled it with a good vegie soil mix I brought from the local nursery and planted my sweet potato cuttings into that. As an added bonus the tyre holds the moisture in and means less water useage and a crop that doesn't dry out.

When it was time to harvest the tubers I upended the tyre with the crowbar, which left a neat mound of soft soil and lovely potatoes. Oh, it is such bliss to forage through the soil and gather the crop!

After I've got all the potatoes and old vine out, I mix fresh bags of soil with the old mound and spade it all into the tyre and start all over again.

If I want to change varieties, I usually prefer the gold but sometimes the red makes a nice change, I get a nice tuber from the supermarket, put it in a plastic bag and keep it in the kitchen until it shoots. Then I cut the sections making sure each one has nice shoots and plant them out.

Hint: This tractor tyre method works well for just about any root vegetable.
"Sight is a faculty - Seeing is an Art"
hillfarm_girl
Propagator

Return to Previous Garden Tips Competition - Vegie Gardens