Cabbage Moth/Butterfly deterrent

Winner is Bulbinella for 'Cabbage Moth/Butterfly deterrent'

Cabbage Moth/Butterfly deterrent

Postby Bulbinella » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Some people call them moths, some butterflies but whatever you call them their caterpillars are very destructive.
I think nearly everyone has heard of using eggshells to deter these pests ... well to be honest I've never found them effective :!:
I use a method that is simple, fun and very effective ... although to begin with you need to do a little work.

materials needed are :thin plastic disposable plates,(must be white), fishing line, garden stakes, a hammer and a couple of nails. Draw a simple butterfly on one of the plates, try to make it the size of the real thing, use your first cutout as your template, you will get a few cutouts from each plate, make as many as you like, ... the more you hang, the more effective they are.
Place a stake at each end of your Brassica bed, or any bed of Vegies that these pests attack, hammer a nail into the top of each stake and tie a length of fishing line to each end, now get all your little butterfly cutouts and using a needle make a whole in the centre of each one and thread some fishing line through, tying a knot to secure, then hang them from the line between the stakes at different heights ...
..... so how do they deter the real thing ? when Cabbage moths/butterflies see these 'fakes' they think that this area is already 'occupied' and will look elsewhere to lay their eggs. Your fakes will also 'fly' whenever there is a breeze.

I've done a sketch :oops: to give an idea of how it should look .... ( I usually add 2 grey spots to them with a pencil ... just to add a little realism to them.)

Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Re: Cabbage Moth/Butterfly deterrent

Postby Systema_Naturae » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:20 pm

That's such a novel idea. I'm certainly going to try it with the next brassica crop I grow! Thank you!

Cheers,
John
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Postby littlegarden » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:26 am

I've heard of doing this with decorative butterflies you might buy from a shop, but if the paper plate version works I'm definitely going to try this next year! By the way did you put little dots on the wings of yours? Hard to tell from your sketch.
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Postby Bulbinella » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:41 am

Bulbinella wrote: .... ( I usually add 2 grey spots to them with a pencil ... just to add a little realism to them.)

sorry :oops: I'm no artist :lol: yes I do littlegarden, making your own is cheaper than buying fancy little butterflies and as the ones you make yourself are white .... they really do fool the pests :!:
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby littlegarden » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 am

Oh duh sorry I didn't see what was right in front of my face!

I'm tempted to put a few of these on my front porch too, I've noticed they sometimes get creative and lay eggs on some of my other plants.
littlegarden
Senior Curator

Return to Previous Garden Tips Competition - Vegie Gardens