Easier and quicker tree dahlias

Winner is abby with 'Pollen Collection and Storage'

Moderator: Forum_mod

Easier and quicker tree dahlias

Postby Pam » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:46 am

I have always found the traditional method of increasing tree dahlia using sections of culm (stem), to be a bit hit-and-miss, not to mention slow. I decided one year to experiment with tip cuttings of the early Spring growth instead, and was very impressed with the results.

Once the new shoots have 3 nodes above the surface, simply cut just above the lower one, leaving you with a cutting consisting of two nodes. Trim off just below the lower node, dip into cutting powder if desired and pop into a well drained medium. I simply used regular potting mix. I was thrilled to find that around a week later I had well rooted cuttings, with 100 per cent strike rate.

The procedure can successfully be repeated with the rapid growth on your new plants. I found that beyond that second set, the success rate and speed of rooting dropped off, probably because the weather was warming up by that time.

Less than a month after taking the cuttings I was begging a friends to take more than 3 dozen plants off my hands, all gained from a single tuber.

A secondary benefit of doing this is that the original plant, instead of being a single stem with its blooms heading skyward for all the neighbourhood except you, is bushier, with its blooms at a height that you can enjoy. Mine stayed at around 2 metres.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: Easier and quicker tree dahlias

Postby Bulbinella » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 am

I like this Pam, I've currently got a heap of stem cuttings in the ground, they certainly are slow to get going and I've found that they 'sprout' well before they have established a good root system, which makes it hard to transplant them.
Thanks Pam, I'm definately going to give this a go.
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Return to Previous Garden Tips Competition - Propagation Tips